Chapter 17

I wake up in a foreign bed, naked and alone. I hear music playing outside the door and hope that it's G and not Dave her roommate. I don't know how many roommates she even has but I certainly don't want to run in to another one. I find her black t-shirt she wore last night on the floor and chuck it on with some underwear I packed in my bag. My mama always told me to never go anywhere without a clean pair for those 'just in case' moments. I think she was referring to occasions other than sleeping the night at someone's house but her advice helps. I open the bedroom door slowly as I rub my eyes. Her room is dark but the living room is bright. I squint but I can make out G sitting on the couch with her back to me. Her hair is half up in a loose bun on the top of her head and the rest swept over her left shoulder. She's wearing a tie dye baggy t-shirt with grey tracksuit pants. I can hear her playing an acoustic guitar and humming to herself. She plays a small melody and then writes something in a notebook she has next to her. I listen for a bit and it's a song I don't recognise. Not that I know her songs off by heart now but it's still unfamiliar. She doesn't hear me open the door so I knock lightly on the door frame. She turns to face me. "Hi baby" she says smiling. Well that's a nickname I could get used to. "Hi" I respond returning her smile. "Did I wake you?" She asks me laying the guitar on the couch. I walk over to her and sit in her lap. "Only because you weren't next to me" I explain. "Aw! I'm sorry" she smiles and kisses me. "It's OK" I say biting my lip. "What were you just playing?" I ask her. "Oh, just a little something I'm working on" she says looking over to her notebook. I don't push it seeing as the last time I asked her she didn't respond too well. I touch her cheek which makes her look back to me. She must notice my hesitation since she asks me, "Do you wanna hear it?" I nod a little too enthusiastically because she laughs at me as I slide off her and onto the couch. She picks her guitar up and starts strumming, "Forgot to brush my teeth in the morning. Running late as always. And through the day I'm yawning. But you still think I'm OK" she says finishing singing but continuing the guitar melody. "That's all I've got so far" she says laughing nervously. When she stops she looks up at me and I can see she's blushing. "Who's that about? The ex?" I ask looking away from her trying to not seem bitter. "Nah" she says returning the guitar to the couch and patting her lap. I climb back on top of her. "It's about this chick I've been seeing. She's making me feel some things. Getting me inspired to write some new music" she says making me blush. I move my arms to hold the back of her neck. "I'd love to meet this inspirational chick" I say kissing her. She laughs "I think you might already know her" she says kissing me passionately.

——

We spend the day at her house. Talking about our pasts and playing video games. She's organised to meet up with her cousin, Charlotte, for dinner so she drives me home. She gets out to open my door for me and I lean against her car. I linger on her car longer than I should have since she had to shower before Charlotte came over and she was already on her way. She wasn't lying when she sang 'Running late as always' to me. We've had such a good time together I just didn't feel like our time together should end. She places a hand on my cheek and I lean my face into her hand. We both smile at each other. I get the feeling she feels be same way I do. I touch her arm and push off her car. I take her hand in mine and she walks slowly behind me. When we reach my door, I collect my keys and unlock the door. I turn around to face her. "Are you sure you don't want to come in?" I ask stroking her hand with my thumb and running it along her rings. I know what her answer will be. "You're cute" She laughs and kisses me "I really wish I could, baby" she says as she turns to leave. She walks to her car and gets into the driver's seat. She winds down the window and waves to me. "I'll miss you" she says. I blow her a kiss and put a hand over my heart. Oh the things she's doing to me and she doesn't even know it.