Chapter 26

I take the flowers to the kitchen and take a jar from the top shelf to fill up with water. She goes to sit on a stool at my kitchen counter. I turn around to face her with the vase full of water and I see she has her head in both her hands. "G?" I say and she looks up at me. Her hair is in a loose pony tail and her eyes are bloodshot. "I'm going crazy, Soph" she starts. My heart beats fast. She's going back to her ex. I've screwed up. I've lost her. I busy myself with putting the flowers in the jar. "My head is all over the place. I used to be so certain of what I wanted. Everything was the way it should be. I had a partner I was committed to and my career was taking off. Now..." I lean on the counter on my forearms and look at her worried of what she was going to say next. "When I lost her, I thought I lost everything. I always thought I would get back with her one day. I wrote songs that I would sing to her at our wedding. You know? Then you... You changed everything" she says looking at me now. I don't know how to feel about those words. I'm confused so I will her to keep going. "In an ideal world, I should be happy Jemma's back. You know, she wants me back and things will be how they used to be. My world would be back to normal. But I don't want her anymore. I don't love her. Char kind of said it best... She said that 'if I was able to develop feelings for someone else, I didn't love her anymore'" she said looking at my hands. She takes them in hers. "I'm so sorry for what happened. You're what matters to me now. You're who I'm looking forward to. You're..." she says seemingly at a loss for words. I take my hands from hers and walk over to stand between her legs. "I'm falling in love with you, Soph" she says looking into my eyes. I hold her face in my hands and kiss her softly. "I feel the same about you, G" I say to her. She smiles at me and looks relieved. "I want to stop all this uncertainty... Will you... be my girlfriend?" She says making me laugh. "Why are you so nervous?" I ask and she shrugs. "Of course I will" I say kissing her again.

"Can we talk about this outfit for a second though?" She says rubbing her hands from my waist to my thighs. I'm wearing only a bralette and underwear underneath denim overalls. I look down at the dried paint dotting my overalls and skin. She bites her lip and starts undoing the straps to my overalls. I watch her hands unhook my left and then right straps. My overalls fall to my hips. I watch her eyes move over my chest. Her hands pull down my overalls over my hips making them crash to the floor. I gasp. She brings her hands up to the small of my back and pulls me towards her. She kisses the space in between my boobs and I cup the back of her head with my hands, throwing my head back as she intensifies her grip on my back. I lean down and kiss her lips. She stands up from the kitchen stool and I pull away to grab my overalls from the floor. I take her hands and lead her upstairs to my room.