Chapter 21

It's G's birthday today but I had to cover an early shift at the bar. I wasn't happy about it but Steve was practically on his hands and knees begging me. I didn't mind too much because it meant I wouldn't miss too much of G's birthday but I would be an hour or two late. My shift goes fairly quickly which is good because all I can think of is seeing G. I pack a spare change of clothes to wear to the pub which consists of a black denim skirt, a mint long sleeve blouse that shows my cleavage and white sneakers. When my shift is over, I cannot get changed and freshen up fast enough. I chuck my work clothes in the back of my car and head off to the pub.

When I get to the pub, I can see it's packed! I decide to look around because neither Charlotte or G would be able to hear their phones even if I called them. I spot a long table full of people in the middle of the pub and scan it to find G's face. I don't. I find Charlotte in the middle of the table instead and I can see Dave, G's roommate at one end. I scan around to find G and locate her at the bar. I walk towards her as she turns around. When she spots me she smiles wide. I can tell she's already tipsy. "Aye!" She screams as she opens her arms wide. A beer in one hand spilling all over the floor and her hand. I hug her and she wraps her free hand around me and into my hair. "Hi baby" she says to me. "Hi" I respond. She kisses me. "You wanna drink?" She asks me. "I'll get it, you go sit down. I'll find you after" I tell her and she nods still smiling. I order a pint of Little Creatures. It's the worst pour I've ever seen but I still take a long draw before turning around to see G. Charlotte sees me as I approach the table. "Sophie!" She says standing up. "Everyone, this is Sophie" she says pointing at me. Everyone looks up and either waves or says "Hi Sophie". I sit next to G who immediately puts a hand on my thigh. We talk to Shelley, another roommate of hers, and her boyfriend.

After a while of getting to know her friends and being introduced to everyone at the table. A girl walks up the table and looks as if to be considering saying something. "Oh my god... Jem?" Charlotte says loudly looking shocked. G's head whips around and focusses on the girl. I watch G who looks more shocked than Charlotte. "Fuck" She breaths and swallows hard. She stands up and walks towards the newcomer. I watch as the girl envelopes G into a hug. Jem is pretty. She's curvy with a toned body and long brown hair and light eyes. She wears a black jumpsuit with a lacy top. She's taller than G. They look like they're old friends. Charlotte turns to me and looks worried. I have no idea what's happening. Jem goes around the table and greets everyone. She must be a friend. G greets Jem's friend and they talk. Jem doesn't give me a second glance but talks to Shelley in front of me. When Jem returns back to G and her friend I hear Shelley turn to her boyfriend and says, "That's Jemma. G's ex". Ah. I understand everyone's faces now. I excuse myself and head to the bathroom.

I sit on the closed toilet and try to breathe. I just need a moment to breath. I've heard some of G's stories about Jem and I've definitely heard the songs written about her. They were together for 4 years and madly in love. The only reason it didn't work out was because Jem works in Japan and G was starting her music career in Melbourne. Long distance is hard. I think that that's worse than my ex falling out of love with me. At least I had a clean break. G and Jemma must still have feelings for each other. They've even got each other's initials on their wrists. Fuck. I don't want it to look like I'm jealous. I mean, G and I aren't official or anything but we're serious. At least I think we are. I fix myself in the mirror and head back out to the table. G and Jemma are gone. Charlotte sees me and signals for me to wait there. She gets up and walks over to me. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know she was coming. I didn't tell her" she says looking worried. "They went outside" she says pointing to the back courtyard. I nod and we both walk that way.

When we get outside I stand at the doorway and scan the area for them. I spot them. Well I spot Jem's back. G's leaning against a wall and Jem is in front of her. Charlotte and I stand for a moment and watch them. G's hands are on Jem's waist. Jem leans down and kisses her. I don't know if it was reality or my world slowing down but G doesn't pull away immediately. I don't feel like watching the rest of the show so I turn and walk out the door. "Sophie" Charlotte calls after me and I feel her hand on my arm but I don't dare look behind me until I'm out the front doors. No ones following me. I practically run out of the pub, down the alley way to the parking area and into my car.