Car Ride

ELLA POV

We've been in the car on the way to South Carolina for about half an hour and neither of us have talked. The only noise being the sounds outside the car and the radio quietly playing. It's kinda hard when you're sitting with someone who you don't know if you're mad at, glad you have time to talk to, worried about, or happy for. Honestly it's all very confusing.

"Sooooo..." I turn and face Philip, whose driving, as we stop at a red light. "I don't think we can just not talk to each other the entire ride"

Philip dryly laughs and runs the back of his neck. "Yeah... sorry I've just been in deep thought I guess"

We sit in a slightly awkward silence for a moment. "We should probably find something t... ya know" Philip awkwardly says

"Um... What do ya wanna do when you get older?" I ask.

"Probably a lawyer or politician... or both" Philip answers. "What about you? I mean surely you've at least considered politics."

"Well..." I find myself staring at the floor. "I kinda wanna be a teacher..."

"I think you'd be a great teacher!" Philip exclaims.

I do a double take. I look up at him. "Really?"

He glances at me then looks back at the road. "Well yeah. I mean you're great with kids, you're extremely smart, and you're great at teaching and explaining."

I smile and look back at the ground. "Thanks"
I try to think of something else to talk about. "How are your girl toys?"

"My what?"

"Girl toys. You know the girls that follow you around like a bunch of dogs. I mean honestly it's hard not to notice them. Or in other works, the girls you like to get in your pants every five seconds"

"HeY!" Philip yells, his voice cracking. I snicker at him. He quickly composes himself. "Why? You wanna be one?"

"HA! You wish" I slightly glare at him.

"Maybe I do" Philip smirks.

What the fuck. This kid goes from insulting me every 5 seconds, to being nice to me, to insulting me again, to apologizing, then to FLIRTING with me?!

"Never happening Philly" I cross my arms and look straight ahead.

"I know" He mumbles so it's barely audible. I don't think I was meant to hear it. "Tell me something I probably don't know about you" He says much louder than the mumble.

"Oh there's a lot you don't know about me" I say. Philip chuckles a little. "Um I'm fluent in French. I also lived in France for a while"

"Je parle couramment le français aussi!" Philip exclaims. I giggle. He's such a toddler.

"Tell me something random I don't know about you"

"Um so you know how I write poems" Philip stops at a red light and turns to face me. I nod. "Yeah. My mom taught me how to play piano at a young age but I've never been too good at it. But I also kinda like to write music and sing." Philip's eyes dart around as he talks. Is he embarrassed?

"You HAVE to sing for me" I grin.

"Oh no no no! No. I haven't sung in years" Philip shakes his head a little aggressive, making his curls go everywhere.

"You're no fun" I laugh.

Philip laughs too. We sit in a surprisingly comfortable silence for a few moments. "I missed your laugh" He quietly says.

My head jerks over to face him. "What?" I ask, even though I heard it.

"Nothing" Philip says, completely shrugging it off.

"How many times do you think you've fought with George Eaker?" I ask, laughing slightly.

"Oh definitely too many to count" Philip laughs. "How many times have you punched me in the mouth?"

"Oh definitely to many to count" I say in a mocking voice, mimicking Phillip.

"Do you remember when we were in elementary school?" Philip asks, kinda suddenly.

"Yeah. I was taller than you" I say, pride laced in my voice.

"And then you stopped growing after eighth grade." Philip jokes.

"Hey! Rude"

Philip lightly chuckles. "I was like obsessed with you in elementary school"

I force out a small laugh. "Is it bad that I don't remember that"

"Well there is only one time I talked to you then that I really remember." Philip pauses and smiles slightly. "I asked you to be my girlfriend, now keep in mind that we were like 9, and you said-"

"You can marry me when you're taller than me, short stuff" I say, remembering what he's talking about. I feel my checks flush slightly. Jesus christ 9 year old me what were you thinking.

"So?" Philip questions, still laughing.

"Yeah, still no" I grumble

Philip starts hysterically laughing, forcing me to start laughing.

"Have you ever wondered what future you is thinking right now" I ask after we calm ourselves down.

"I sure hope he learned how to have one girlfriend and keep her" Philip says, obviously half joking, half serious.

"I hope older me figured out how to freaking talk to people instead of bottling things inside of her" I say, quietly to the ground.

I notice Philip look at me for a second before turning back to the road. We stay silent for a second until Philip talks again. "Ok so a lot of people ask this, like randomly so um what's your biggest insecurity about how you look"

"Um probably my thighs... either that or my face, it's just so round and it looks weird." I say kinda fast.

"Wait what don't you like about your thighs?" Philip asks hesitantly.

"They're just... so big" I say, slowly and quietly.

"Mines probably my freckles" Philip says.

"What?!" I turn to face him. Philip laughs and nods. "Nu uh. Your freckles are gorgeous" I say truthfully. Philip smiles and I swear I can see him blush. "Either that or I really am just a sucker for freckles"

Philip laughs. "You really love my freckles don't you?"

"I mean if you don't want 'em, hand 'em over please" I joke

"I wish it worked that way" Philip makes eye contact with me and I feel my heart skip a beat. I can't believe that this boy makes me feel this way.