CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I called my brother on the way to the offices and he informed me he was nearby. Ava and I are waiting for him in the back entrance far from the outdoor cameras, she still struggles to talk to me like she normally does and it for some reason it hurts because she's become such a close friend to me in a short period of time that thinking about her not talking to me anymore and only limiting herself to this brings me down.

"Ava."

"Yes?" She turns to look at me.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I ask, not breaking eye contact.

"Do I have a choice? I might die either way." She says and my expression softens.

"Not necessarily." I say and she looks at me confused. "I'm not going to kill you and I won't allow it to happen either, you can count on that."

"Cameron..." She sighs. "By doing this I have no other choice but to trust you and be on your side. I saved your life and I don't regret it." She pushes herself off the car and stands in front of me. "God only knows how I would've felt if you got killed but getting me involved in this was just too much."

"I didn't ask you to save me!" I snap at her. I never asked her to shoot Rony, I never asked for her to do anything.

"What was I supposed to do?! Watch you and Charlie get killed?!" She raises her voice at me, both hands rest on her hips.

"I told you to stay in the car!"

"You're an ungrateful piece of shit, Cameron." She pushes me and starts to pace.

"What did I get you into? Huh?!" I walk up to her. "You pulled the trigger. I owe you and I will protect you with all I have but don't put the blame on me when we both were in the same fucked up situation and acted accordingly."

"I know but-"

"But nothing. You want a way out? I'll give it to you." I say fed up with this whole situation. "Get the fuck out of here right now, I'll cover for you and make sure you're safe and back at work on Monday. I can manage. But if you dare to tell anyone about the codes, my men or what I did for Charlie I will personally come for you." I finish my yelling and feel somewhat relieved but instantly realize what I said to her.

"Are you done?" She asks, standing in front of me with her arms folded over her chest.

"Yes." I huff like a little child.

"You don't mean that." Ava says looking at me but I don't dare to look at her.

"Of course I don't." I say looking away from her. The stress is making me say things I don't mean and I know it's the lamest excuse but I'm in a situation where all my plan to uncover my father's doings and take him down are at stake. "I'm sorry."

"I know." She chuckles quietly.

"I'm leaving the door open for you. If you want out, just say the words and I'll keep you safe and away from this." I tell her. "My brother and I can handle it."

"No. I don't want out." She states and I'm surprised by her words and how confidently she said them. "We're doing this and I'm sticking around so calm down and think positive because stressing out will make you fuck up."

"Alright kids, what are we doing?" Marcus interrupts our talk as he walks towards us. "What do you need?" He claps his hands and rubs them together.

"I need you to turn the cameras off so we can walk to the main room." Ava beats me to explaining and my brother bites the inside of his cheek in thought. "What?" She asks.