CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Every eventful thing in my life happens either on Wednesdays or, like today, Fridays. We're all getting ready for the gala hosted by my father in this pretty big salon on the other side of town for some politicians and members of different parties, the families affiliated with my father's businesses are also invited so there is a total of around a hundred and fifty people, no children included...thankfully.

My team decided to join Marcus' team's pregame before the gala because they want to go all out in their week off. My brother decided it would be an amazing idea to tell everyone to come over to the house in the back. We call it 'The Cave' because for as long as I can remember we've had parties, game nights, everything in there, my father wanted it solely because he knew his kids would make a better use of it.

My mother hired a catering team to prepare the food and cocktails for the guests and gave the maids the day off. She didn't want to have to worry about the kitchen running smoothly and monitoring that everyone was having a good time so that's also the reason why they rented the place. I've been helping my mother all week to decide which appetizers she wanted, what we should serve as the main dish and the range of cocktails; I felt important there because half of the things are what I chose.

Ava and I are off the hook, tonight we'll enjoy the party. My dad suspects that people from Atlanta are behind this because they're stupid enough to think that Charlie was working for them undercover so that gives us more time. I'm not sure how they connected them with Charlie but whatever works to keep them off my back, I guess.

Back to Ava, we jokingly said we're each other's date for tonight's gala. I'll wear a tie to match her dress. Deep down I love our friendship and how we innocently flirt sometimes or talk about anything, the way we trust each other to a point where we have confessed to never telling the things we talk about to anybody else but us. We connected instantly after we met and became so close, it's something I haven't experienced before. I'm not usually very open to people and I tend to be hard to deal with but with Ava is different and I'm grateful for her.

"Cam?" I hear Marcus' voice. I look up and he's standing in my bedroom door.

"What's up?" I ask looking away from my phone.

"The boys are coming in half an hour, the limo we rented will pick us up ten minutes before the gala starts-"

"Are we going to be late?"

"Fashionably late." He corrects me. "I'm not in the mood to greet these people, I rather get there a few minutes late once most of them have arrived."

"Fair enough." I say nodding. "Now get out of my room and make sure we have ice." I kick him out of my room and put on a shirt and a pair of jeans. I don't want to wear my suit now because if any of the boys go too hard, they could most likely stain my clothes and I can't borrow anything from my brother's because their stuff is either too small for me or too old.

My phone rings and Luca's name flashes on the screen so I poke my head out of my room to check no one's on the hallway and close my door before answering.

"How's it going?" He asks.

"The gala is tonight, he targeted the head of the White House's security crew and one of the senators." I tell him. "Not sure what he wants with them but I'll make sure to keep an eye on their every move in case anything happens."

"We know he won't do anything until the gala is over, he doesn't want to alert the rest and expose himself." Luca says. "Just a heads up he invited the son of that business man he had the meeting with in Atlanta, he comes in representation of his father who's overseas at the moment and is expecting a truce."