Chapter 2: The Bridge

We walked to the silver car after a couple of minutes in each others arms.

"Thomas," I say. He smiles over at me and nodded.

"Why are you so nice to me? You barely even know me," I ask. I feel like if I was in his position I would've left quite awhile ago. 

"I don't really know, if I'm being honest. I just can't let you go," Thomas says, his eyes fixed on his feet, a small blush crossing his face. I reach for his hand and he smiles. We reach the silver car and he leans up against it, still holding my hand. The sky is turning a darker shade, signaling rain in my mind. At this point I would usually begin to lay buckets under all of the leak holes, and making sure the tarps were pinned against the doors and windows for extra protection. I fought off my impulse and looked at him.

"I think we need to get you some food," Thomas says. I laugh, awkwardly. 

"I've developed quite a list of food allergies. Probably since I can't get anything good to eat," I say. He slowly starts to swing his arm attached to mine back and forth, creating a nice rhythm and calmness. 

"Like I said, we need to get you some good food," Thomas smirked at me and stood up, straight. He opened the passenger side of the silver car and I got in. It had been awhile since I've been in a car. 5 years, actually. I didn't like being back in a car. It brought back too many memories. 

Thomas got into the drivers seat and closed the door. I remembered I needed to buckle my seat, and he did as well. When he started the car, I felt my whole body grow tense. I don't know if Thomas noticed, or not. I was able to gather myself briefly, until we started moving. 

"Woah," I whispered, louder than I had hoped. I grabbed onto the car seat and looked around frantically.

"What?" Thomas asked, glancing over at me. I started to breathe funny as we started going faster. 

"Thomas," I say, again, barely audible. Thomas keeps driving.

"Madi, are you okay?" Thomas asks. He offers his hand for me to hold, but I don't take it. He rests it, palm up, next to my seat. I barely notice it's there, honestly. I wasn't used to this. The small town and the lunch rush had come to life with the extreme speed of 20 MPH. No, it wasn't even 20 MPH. It was 15. Either way it was more speed than I'd gained in years. 

"Thomas," I said again, quieter this time. His hand that was resting next to mine was now clenched onto my wrist, begging to be held. I somehow still refused to let it happen.

"Madi please, what's wrong?" Thomas said, his voice laced with worry. I tried to calm my breathing and relax my body. It wasn't working. And that's when it hit me. 

The bridge. 

"Thomas!" I shouted, grabbing his hand and closing my eyes. I could hear the turn signal clicking, and the car stopped soon after. He turned the car off and grabbed my hand in both of his.

"Madi, you're okay," Thomas said, reassuringly. I opened my eyes slowly and looked up at him.

"Thomas," I said, relieved this time. 

"What's wrong?" Thomas asked again. I opened my mouth to speak when the memory began to overpower my mind.