Chapter 6: Two Men, One Girl

I made it back into the city, quicker than I expected to. I turned my head to look behind me, the men were still on my trail. I decided to try and find Thomas. I ran onto a side street, towards the street I met Thomas on. I often got lost here, and I was hoping that they would, too. After about 10 minutes of confusing my stalkers, I found myself behind the apartment building. Thomas's car was in his parking spot, so I ran up the stairs and knocked loudly on his door. I looked behind me, I didn't see the men anymore. 

"Thomas please it's Madi!" I said through the door, still knocking. I heard an immediate rustle from inside and the door flew open. I rushed inside and shut the door. I took the time to catch my breath before I said anything.

"Madi, what's wrong?" Thomas asked. 

"Two men are following me," I whisper, still trying to catch my breath. Thomas rushed to the windows and closed them quickly. I stood there, shaking and watching Thomas. 

"Why are they following you?" Thomas asked. I shook  my head, slowly.

"I don't kn.." I couldn't finish. The sound of a light knock on the door. My eyes widened. 

"Hide, go to the guest room, hide in the closet," Thomas whispered, grabbing my hands and giving them a light squeeze. I nodded and started walking quietly to the guest room.

"I'm coming," Thomas said, walking to the door. I heard it open as I slipped into the room, glancing around quickly to find the closet, and closing the door. Once I found it, I sat down in the back corner, and slowly shut the doors. I waited a long time before I heard the guest room door open.

"Hey, it's just me," Thomas said. I started to open the closet door, and he helped me. His eyes were puffy, as if he'd been crying. 

"Thomas..." I said, standing up and getting out of the closet.

"Nothing," he said. I walked over to him and hugged him. I wrapped my hands around his neck, standing on my tip toes. It took him a little bit to hug me back, his hands placed on my lower back. 

"Why did you come back?" Thomas asked, after awhile in silence. I pulled back just a little to look at his face.

"I..I missed you..I was heading back here anyways when those guys.." I said. He shook his head. 

"I think that was them. Two guys, black jackets, one older and one younger?" Thomas asked. I nodded. 

"They said they were looking for a lost cat, thought they saw it run up here," Thomas said. I looked down and nodded. 

"They aren't going to leave," I said, my eyes tearing up. I had just created a nightmare for Thomas. 

"I'll call the police," Thomas said. I shook my head and grabbed his hands quickly.

"And tell them what? That they followed my..friend back to my apartment from her abandoned house but she's not supposed to be seen and that's why she ran away when they saw her?" I said. He nodded, slowly.

"Right. Well what are we going to do?" Thomas said. I looked around the room and shrugged. 

"I just won't leave this room," I said. "I mean, if that's okay with you," I said, guilt washing over me.

"Yes of course it's okay," Thomas said. He sat on the bed and looked over at me. 

"Thank you, Thomas," I said. He patted the seat beside him and I walked over to the bed. I almost sat down when I remembered my clothes. 

"I don't want it to get it dirty," I said. I took a seat on the hardwood floor. Thomas frowned and stood back up, towering over me. 

"Madi," Thomas said, kneeling down to make eye contact with me. Before I could answer, he scooped me up and sat me on his lap. He sat against the wall and cradled me against his chest. For the first time in years, I just let myself cry. I cried and cried. I didn't care that anyone could see me. I didn't care that I was dirty. I didn't care that I smelled like an old, musty towel. I didn't care about anything at all. Anything, besides Thomas. Now Thomas. Thomas I cared about. I cared about him an awful lot. I didn't know why, or when I started to feel this way, but I know that I did. 

"I got you some fresh clothes today," Thomas said. I could feel the smile on his face. He was trying to cheer me up. It was working.

"You, you did?" I asked. I looked up at him, a small smile on my face, as well.

"Yes, I did," Thomas said. He kissed the top of my head. I wondered how he could do that. How he could be holding me this close. How he could look at me. I was so dirty. So rough around the edges. There was no way He couldn't be wondering when the last time I'd taken a shower was. Maybe even bathed. It was last week, if I'm honest. I can only get so much soap and shampoo. It was about that time of week I'd be searching for more. 

"Here, I found some jeans, the lady said they were really cute, and I think they looked nice on the model, so I hope they look good on you," Thomas said, he was now blushing a little bit. I smiled, and leaned my head against his chest.

"I'm sure they're lovely, Thomas," I said. He picked me up and set me down beside him. I watched him walk out of the room and return with a brown bag. THE COTTON MILL was written on the front. He handed the bag to me, and I opened it. There was a few pairs of jeans, different sizes, I suppose. After digging those out, there was a rainbow assortment of t-shirts. Not more than one of each color.

"Only one size?" I asked. He nodded. 

"There's not a doubt in my mind that you're a small. You, my darling, don't have enough meat on those bones to be anything bigger." Thomas said. He had a smile on his face, but I knew the fact was true, and it saddened him. I smiled.

"Thank you," I said. He nodded.

"I told the lady a twisted version of your story. Just that you were my friend and didn't have much money, and I was treating you. So she wanted to make sure you had everything. You'll find what I mean at the bottom," Thomas said. I nodded. He left the room to let me try the clothes on.