Chapter 10: And, How Many Stitches?

It wasn't long after that day that I was able to go home. For such a useless organ, the aftermath was extremely painful. They had made one big incision on the right side of m stomach, almost on my hip bone. Multiple stitches lined the cut, too man to count. And quite frankly, it hurt too much to bend over and count them all. But I was curious, so I had Thomas count them.

"And..35 exactly," Thomas said.

"Wow, that's a lot of stitches," I said. Thomas nodded. 

"Do you need anything else sweetheart?" Thomas asked. I nodded.

"Come here," I said. He chuckled.

"Madi, I'm already right here," Thomas said, laughing a little as he spoke. I motioned for him to come here and he sat next to me.

"There," I said. "You stay there," I started to get up.

"Madi stay seated, please," Thomas said. I shook my head. 

"Trust me," I said. He let me get up, I held onto his hand for support while I stood.

"I'll be right back," I said. Thomas nodded, and I could feel his eyes glued on me as I slowly walked down the hall, still hunging over from the never ending pain. I walked into my room and grabbed my bag from the hospital. I rummaged through it, slowly sitting down on my bed. I found a notebook that I used for writing and ripped out a page. I slowly stood up and walked back out to Thomas. I folded the paper up and handed it to him. He looked at the paper, then up at me, then back at the paper.

"What's this?" Thomas asked. I slowly sat down, letting a grunt slip from my mouth. 

"It's just something I wrote for you," I said. He smiled and began to open it.

"No! Don't open it now," I said, probably far too loud. He looked at me, confused.

"Please, Thomas," I said. He nodded and shoved it in his pocket. 

"When can I open it?" He asked.

"You'll know when it's right," I said, a small smile on my face. He smiled and put his arm around me. 

"Are you tired at all, sweetie?" Thomas asked. I shook my head.

"Not really," I said. Thomas kissed the top of my head.

"Let me know when you are, I'll bring you to your bed," Thomas said. I nodded.

"Thank you, Thomas," I said. He smiled.

"Anything for my Madi," He said.

---------------------------

I was perfectly fine about a month later. Thomas seemed, off. I started to worry about him. 

"Hey, Thomas?" I said, one morning. I was at the kitchen table, the sun shining through the big glass doors that led to the balcony. 

"Hold on a second," Thomas said. He was getting himself ready, just out of the shower, I think. He came out of the bedroom, only his pants on, putting his button up shirt on. He made his way over to me. The first time he did this, yes, I freaked out inside. You know, mentally exploding over the fact that he was shirtless in my presence, and he was okay with it. But now, it was our daily routine. 

"Are you alright, sweetie?" I asked. I helped button his shirt, he was sort of fixing his hair. I got to the last button when he finally spoke.

"Yeah, why?" He said. I finished and kissed his cheek lightly. 

"You just seem off, like something's bothering you," I said. Thomas shook his head. I made eye contact with him.

"Are you sure, Thomas?" I said. He hesitated and I took a step back. I grabbed his hands and held them tightly. 

"Madi, I have to go away," Thomas said. I looked at him.

"You go away all the time for work," I say. He shook his head.

"I have a movie role, you remember I was telling you about it, The Maze Runner. THe director wants me to stay in New Mexico until the movie's finished," Thomas said. I looked down. 

"New Mexico? That's so far away, Thomas," I said. I let go of his hands and took a step back. 

"Madi, I wanted you to know sooner, but I didn't want you to worry.." Thomas said. I nodded. 

"How long will you be there?" I asked. I could see in his eyes that he didn't want me to ask that.

"Five months," He whispered. My heart sank. I seriously felt it drop. It hurt. I never knew two words could hurt so much. 

"Oh..." I said. I slipped past him and walked to Thomas's room. I grabbed a plain blue tie to go with his white and blue checkered shirt. I turned to walk back into the kitchen, but Thomas was already there. 

"I love this tie on you," I said. He lowered his head a little bit so I could put it around his neck. I started to tie it.

"You're mad at me," Thomas said. I didn't look at him. 

"No, I'm not," I said. I finished tieing it and stepped back.

"You taking a jacket sweetie?" I asked, I started walking towards the closet when Thomas stepped in the way. 

"Madi talk to me," Thomas said. I looked at him.

"Did you not just hear me?" I asked.

"You know what I mean. How do you feal about me leaving for the movie?" Thomas asked. 

"I think it's a good opportunity for you. You really liked the script, and you like the director so go for it," I said. He shook his head.

"Madi, you don't sound okay with it," Thomas said. I shook my head back.

"Thomas, I'm proud of you for getting this role! You seem excited abut it, don't let me stop you, please?" I said. He hesitated again, then he nodded. 

"Okay," Thomas said. I smiled at him. 

"Good honey," I said. I hugged him and he pulled me close to his chest. 

"I'm going to miss you," Thomas whispered. 

"I know, Thomas. I'll miss you, too. More than you know," I said.