Chapter 3: DADDY NOOOO!!!

"Madison, it's your mother, she's in trouble."  

"Dad, what's wrong? What's happening?" 

"Get in the car, Madison. Now."

The sudden rush of an engine stormed to life. The pick up truck was soon barreling down the road, towards the bridge. The bridge wasn't very wide, wasn't very sturdy. I held my breath every time we went over that thing, the fear that the truck was too big overwhelmed me every time. This time, my fear was imaginable. My fear, was fear. My fear was real.

The headlights were smashed open. That was the first thing. Then the hood crumpled. Then the glass shattered. Then the truck filled with water. Sickening water. 

"Daddy!"

"Daddy!" 

The water washed my bloody wounds, a stinging sensation filled my veins. 

"Daddy!" 

The shore had never felt so desirable. I longed for the muddy bank, the watered down grass above the shoreline. 

"Dad-" 

My prize was claimed, but only after darkness won over.

"HARRIET!! NOOOO!!!"

The ground around her was a rich shade of red. Her face no longer recognizable. I couldn't even call her my mother anymore.

"DADDY!! NOOOO!!!"

The ground around him was a rich shade of red. His head no longer recognizable. I couldn't even call him my father anymore.

"DADDY!! NOOOO!!!" I screamed, my mind throwing myself back into reality. I grabbed onto the dashboard of the car and started panicking. I thrashed around the inside of the car and tried to open the door. Thomas was grabbing at my arms, trying to calm me down. I kept screaming. People around us must have thought we were fighting. 

"Madi calm down! What's wrong? Madi please," Thomas begged. Once he unlocked the door I fled. I left my bag in his car and sprinted away from the bridge. I ended up close to where Thomas and I met, stopping and sitting down on the ground. I could hear Thomas running behind me. The panic was overwhelming me. 

He stopped. Maybe 5 feet away from my outstretched body. I heaved in gulps of air, grabbing frantically at the grass. 

"Madi," Thomas whispered. Panic had overcome him, too. I could hear it in his voice. I turned to face him.

"The car, Thomas. Don't make me go back in that car," I choke out. He nods frantically and walks towards me. I sniffle, more scared of myself than anything else, really. Thomas sits down in front of me and opens his arms. 

"Madi, whatever happened, you're alright now. I won't let anything happen to you," Thomas said, the panic leaving his words. I curled up on his lap, his arms securely wrapped around me. 

"And you never have to go back into that car," Thomas whispered as he kissed the top of my head.