Chapter 5

Nicole and Luke met the other boys at the beach. Luke had filled Nicole in on what happened at the studio whilst was she was at Marley's. Nicole landed at the beach, the sand already filling her trainers. Reggie and Alex looked straight ahead of them and Nicole turned around to see what they were looking at. She let out a small gasp. "A bike shack, right where my house used to be." Reggie's face was glum as he spoke and Nicole walked over and engulfed him in a hug. Reggie was like a golden retriever, you just couldn't hurt it and when you did, you can't help but feel sad. "They  made the Meyersons' house into a noodle shop." Nicole stood by his side rubbing his arm which did not go unnoticed by Luke. "I'm sorry Reggie, but hey at least your parents are happy somewhere else now, right? My parents didn't even care that I was dead." Her eyes widened when she realised she had slipped up. Reggie noticed how uncomfortable she looked and quickly averted the topic. "Why couldn't they have made mine a pizzeria or something?" Nicole sighed sadly as she looked around. This place used to be an important place to her, to all of them. There were many cold winter and summer nights, where her, sometimes Marley and the boys would take alcohol from their parents and sneak out to the beach and would for just one night, be teenagers. "They tore down the whole neighbourhood." Nicole nodded and sat down on a log that Luke was sat on. "I guess my folks are gone." Nicole stared out at the sea and people. She still couldn't quite grasp the thought of being dead. Knowing she could never feel the rush of playing music with her boys in front of a crowd ever again or go to the playground and sit on the swings with Marley and talk for hours.

"Everyone's gone, Twenty five years, gone. Friends, family, Bobby." Nicole's head snapped up at the mention of Bobby's name. Luke stroked her back with his hand and Alex looked at her sympathetically. "Sorry, Nicki." She shook her head, letting it drop so she was staring at hers and Luke's shoes. Her and Bobby used to be a thing or so Nicole thought. They started having little hook up sessions over the summer and Nicole had developed strong, deep feelings for him only for him to cheat on her and then shut her down telling her he didn't care for her at all. Let's just say the other 3 members of Sunset Curve were angry especially a certain brunette named Luke. "What do you think happened to him?" Nicole zoned back into the conversation as Reggie spoke. "He probably just got old like everybody else and moved on." Nicole looked at Luke, like really looked at Luke, the way he was sat, the way he was speaking. He didn't look as bothered as the others about death but Nicole knew better. "Dude, how are you so casual about all of this?" Alex sounded distressed. "I mean, don't yo wanna figure out what happened?" Luke leaned forward and Nicole put a hand on his to help calm him down. He looked down at their hands then back up at her before speaking. "Let's be real for a second. It's not like we were that close to our families." Nicole flinched slightly at the mention of family. Luke removed his hand from under hers. "My folks always regretted buying me that guitar, Reggie, your parents were literally a fight away from a divorce, Alex, your parents were never cool again after you told them you were gay." He looked at Nicole hesitating for a second. "And Nicole, I mean come on, your parents never cared, they didn't care who you were because it wasn't the person they wanted you to be." Nicole played with the rings on her fingers as she felt everyone's gaze on her. "Ok none of us had it great. All right? But at least we had something. You know, what do we have now?" Nicole stood up from her spot on the log and kicked at the sand. It was true, they didn't have anything now, apart from each other and their music. Alex pointed his finger at Luke as he spoke. "And before you say cool teleportation skills, just know, I'm not entirely ok with that either. It tingles, in weird places!" Nicole pulled a face. She really didn't need to know that. Luke stood up. "I'll tell you what we had. It's what we've had since the day we came together. Boys-" Nicole glared at him. "And girl, we have us. We're the only family we're ever gonna need." Nicole smiled up at him and joined him on the log. "Yeah I agree. You know what else we have?" Luke looked over at her in appreciation and took her hand in his. "I'm gonna guess death breath." Nicole giggled. "No! Our music Reg! Our time isn't over yet!" In that moment Nicole realised nothing was more important than this, than what they had. "We have our music guys. People, actual people can hear us play!" Nicole nodded her head. "They can't see us, fine but they can feel us, feel our rhythm." Luke pointed his finger at her, agreeing. "If I had my guitar right now, I'd play for all these people right now." Nicole smiled. Remembering all the times the 4 of them would walk along the pier singing and playing music. "Yeah they can't tip what they can't see." Nicole rolled her eyes and hit Alex's shoulder. "It's not about the tips Alex! It's about- about feeling alive again! Don't you want that?" He tilted his head to the side, considering the thought. "I just- I wish I had my guitar." There was a flash of white light and when Nicole looked at Luke again, he had his guitar in his hands. "Woah." Nicole looked at him in surprise. "That was rad! How'd you do that?" Reggie looked like an excited puppy and Nicole couldn't help but smile. "I don't know, I-I-I mean, I wished for it, and then it came in my hands." He looked to Nicole, her mouth was wide open. Reggie crouched slightly and closed his eyes shut. "I-I-I wish I had a puppy, a hamster? Pizza?" When Reggie sat on the ground Nicole frowned. Poor guy.

"Hey! I think I know something that'll cheer you up." Luke began strumming on his guitar and flashed that adorable smile at Nicole. Look stood next to him and began patting his body in  a similar rhythm.

"Come on Reginald."

"1 2 3 4!"

"Can you, can you hear me? Loud and clear!"

Nicole began dancing around smiling at the three boys.

"We gotta get, gotta get ready! Cause it's been years!"

"Woah oh oh oh! This band is back! Woah oh oh oh! This band is back!"

"Woohoo ooh ohh, woohoo ooh ooh, woohoo ooh ooh."

"Can you, yes we can, can you hear me? Loud and clear!"

"We gotta get, wanna get, gotta get, ready! Cause it's been years!"

"Woah oh oh, this band is back! Woah oh oh this band is back!"

"Woohoo ooh ooh, woohoo ooh ooh, woohoo ooh ooh!"

Nicole smiled to herself as Luke put an arm around her shoulder. Sunset Curve had been reborn and they were gonna be better then ever.