Chapter 6: Car Accident

*About one to two weeks after surgery.*

Zayn:

Louis, Lyla, and I went out to get ice cream to blow off some steam. Everyone seemed to be arguing lately. Everything was happening so quickly. Lyla had her surgery last month and that seemed to both improve and damper the way everyone was feeling. Niall had been a bit down because she was sick from it and he felt he may lose her. I felt that way too, I mean, losing your best friend can be hard. I feel like she’s slipping away and everyone can see it. She’s been in a state of depression lately, so Lou and I decided to take her out and get her cheered up.

“Hey Lyla, how ya feelin’?” Lou brought up conversation because things seemed to be quite awkward.

“Great!” I knew she was lying straight through her teeth. You could always tell when she had that extra pep in her voice.

“Lyla, why are you trying so hard? You don’t have to act all happy; all we want to know is what’s wrong. You’ve been totally out of it, you’re slipping away. Dammit!” That was it, I cracked. I didn’t mean to say it; it all just started flowing out. Like when you’re throwing up on accident.

“Zayn!” Louis hissed through his teeth.

“I’m so sorry Lyla; I didn’t mean to say that. I guess I was just thinking out loud.”

"No, he’s right. I’m a mess; I’ve just had a lot on my mind. After the surgery I haven’t felt like doing anything. Talking, eating, or trying. Niall probably hates me because I don’t even talk to him anymore, my own boyfriend!” She was in hysteria now.

“He doesn’t hate you, love. He is in love with you and I’ve never seen him happier than with you. Please don’t think that, all he wants you to do is come back to him. Not with the fake you, the real one who truly cares about him.” I reassured her, I felt those words were true. Even though I loved her, I recently learned it was just as a friend. I couldn’t ruin anything for Niall; he was one of my best lads.

“I do love him.” She breathed out.

Everything after that happened so fast. I heard someone scream, and then a loud crashing noise, and then everything went black after that….

Niall:

I was just sitting at home doing nothing, as I always do. Lyla has been completely out of it lately. I don’t know what that surgery did, but it changed her. I feel like she doesn’t even love me anymore. Everyone tells me she’s just going through a phase and she needs some time for it, but I don’t believe that. I feel like she’s gone. My phone started vibrating, Harry, he must be calling to see how I’m doing since Lyla went out.

“Niall, you have to come to the hospital quick! There’s been an accident…”

That’s all I needed to get me started. A million things were running through my mind right now. Who was in the accident? Are they hurt? Did someone die? Is it Lyla? When that last question hit me, I knew it was true. This couldn’t be happening to her! Why her, after everything she’s been through. I got in my car and drove as fast as I could. When I got there I went straight to a nurse’s station.

“Lyla Vanderbilt?”

“Room 312, hon.” The nurse quickly told me, I ran straight to the elevator after that.

When I go there she looked like an angel, laying there. That’s when I saw it, the cast on her leg and a wrap around her arm. I didn’t realize it until just now, but Chloe was in here.

“Hey Ni, the doctor said she’s going to be fine. She should be up any minute.” Hearing those words made me feel better, so nothing was severely wrong with her.