Chapter 15: The Past

📆 interhighs

[ a/n: sooo in the anime and manga, shiratorizawa didn't have the same venue as other schools during the interhighs in the miyagi prefecture, but in this story we'll pretend that all schools had their match in the sendai city gymnasium for the plots ]

The girl's team needs to gather and leave in exactly 30 minutes or else they'll be late. What's worse is that the only one who wasn't awake was none other than the captain herself. Aki sighed heavily at the thought of being late. Aki was already dressed in her volleyball uniform, while she stared hopelessly at her captain and best friend who was still sleeping soundly on her bed.

"She still not awake?" Zumi asked when she got out of the bathroom also dressed in her uniform. Zumi was drying her hair using a towel while staring at her sleeping captain. Aki shook her head 'no' as she once again sighed, she approached her best friend once again before waking her up.

"Haru! Wake up!" Haru heard someone speak. In her sleepy state, she just nodded her head and faced the other way then tried to go back to sleep.

"Arghh! Haru! We're gonna be late! Wake. Up. Now!" Aki groaned as she shook the sleeping girl violently. Hearing the word 'late' made Haru wake up instantly. The frazzled girl immediately stood up before making her way to the bathroom. Aki grabbed Haru's towel before chucking it at the girl who just grunted a 'thanks' as the towel draped over her head. The bathroom door shut and moments later running water could be heard inside.

Aki sighed in relief. Zumi then grabbed Haru's volleyball uniform and left it by the bathroom door, while Zumi was doing this, Aki was packing Haru's extra clean shirt, towel, uniform, and other things into her training bag. They could now consider this a routine since they've been doing this since their junior highs.

Though they didn't live in dorms in junior high, they still went to Haru's house to waker her up and fix her things because they knew how Haru could easily oversleep and forget that there was an important game.

Since Haru was a year younger than all of the third years, Zumi and Aki were used to taking care of the girl. Despite being younger than the third years, Haru didn't have a hard time being captain at all. Everyone respected her because of how she carried herself. The girls considered Haru as a living legend. Not only does she plays exquisitely but she also respected the game which made the matches that Haru participated in more enjoyable.

Haru finally exited the bathroom with yawn. She was now dressed in her uniform with tights underneath that ends exactly under her knees, her waist-length silver hair still dripping wet. Aki approached Haru, pulled on her towel then proceeded on drying Haru's hair.

"I can do it myself." Haru mumbled under her breathe. Aki shushed her and handed her a day old convenience store-bought onigiri and boxed milk since there was no time for breakfast. Haru mumbled 'itadakimasu' under her breath then took a bite with eyes still closed due to her still being sleepy. Aki continued towel-drying Haru's hair before Zumi went in to blow-dry it since they were running out of time.

After they finished, Haru threw away her breakfast and shrugged on her jacket while still rubbing her eyes and yawning. While Haru looked around if they left anything, Aki and Zumi was already by the door with their own training bags along with Haru's bag.

"Everything is packed. C'mon." Aki assured her captain who just nodded while grabbing her phone and leaving their dorm. Haru grabbed her bag from Aki and thanked her and Zumi for always fixing her and her things. The trio met up with Kia and Kumi just outside their dorm building before heading towards the bus.