Chapter 20: The Most Important Question

I just blinked for the millionth time in just a span of a few minutes. I was wide awake for the past thirty minutes. Yes, it was me who suggested to sleep but I just can't. Not after what he just said! I just laid there in my bed, with 'Toshi beside me with his arm draped over me and the other arm being used as my pillow.

I've tried sleeping my thoughts away but it did not prevail at all. My eyes were feeling that familiar sting when you feel the tiredness in them, but my mind was the complete opposite. My mind was awake and it was racing with thoughts especially with that last statement that 'Toshi said to me.

Be my girlfriend, Haru.

Did he know that I was still awake or did he said that since he knew that I was already sleeping? I looked up to him again to see him with both eyes closed accompanied with leveled breathing meaning he was really asleep. He was really deep in sleep, for like the past few minutes I've been staring at him.

As my mind went back to his statement, I felt my face warm up once again. Honestly, I would've said yes immediately but my mind registered it quite late, you could say that my mind buffered for a bit. I didn't know if he was serious or not but when I looked up a few moments after he said that, his eyes were already closed.

I sighed heavily as my thoughts just won't stop. It was just a question, Haru. A very important question, my conscience said back. I rolled my eyes before I once again tried to shut my eyes to try and have sleep take me.

After five minutes, sleep just didn't come to me at all. I could just study until he wakes up but the body warmth that I am feeling right now is not something I will easily give up, especially for academics. Being beside 'Toshi right now is everything to me, who knew when we'll ever be like this again especially when Nationals is next week and then we will start to train for the Spring Tournament after. Busy days will be ahead for us.

I sighed heavily but stopped midway when I felt 'Toshi move against me. Then those dark eyes finally stared back at me.

"When did you wake up?" He said in a deep husky voice, which made a familiar warmth spread to my cheeks. Even though he just slept for less than an hour his voice really went deep.

"I couldn't sleep." I muttered sheepishly as I hid my face on his chest. I felt him tighten his arm around me as he pulled me even closer to him.

"Why?" He asked cluelessly. You just freakin' asked me to be your girlfriend! That was what I wanted to say but I just took a deep breathe before facing him. He stared back at me with curiosity.

"You said something before you fell asleep." I confessed with a newfound confidence from I don't know where. His brows knitted together as his faced formed a confused expression.

"I did?" He asked once again completely clueless about how my heart is violently hammering in my chest.

"N-nevermind." I mumbled, my earlier confidence depleting knowing that he indeed mutter those words in his sleep. I could feel my lips turn into a frown as I thought about the things I was previously worried about. I should've just shook him awake and said 'yes'. Now that would definitely confuse him.

I chuckled at my thoughts before Toshi's phone rang from my desk and he reached out to get it which eventually led him to remove the arm that was previously wrapped over me.

"What is it, Tendou?" He asked the person on the other end of the line.

"We have training at 3 'til 6 remember?" Tendou answered back. Toshi's brows furrowed as he processed the information. Then suddenly realization dawned on his face. I glanced at the digital clock we had in the dorm to see it was already 2:30. I frown as I thought how fast time went by. My frown went even deeper when I realized I would be alone for the next few hours once again.