3. Dream Catchers Are Free as Long as You Don't Pay for Them

Gerard reckoned his life was messed up. He really didn't know how else to word it, though if he did, it would most likely consist of a large amount of curse words.

But right then, as Gerard walked down the empty hallways and corridors of the castle, leaning so heavily on the girl—Lindsey, that he was surprised she hasn't collapsed under his weight yet; he found that no curse word floated through his mind. It was rather empty, in fact, almost as empty as the hallways.

Gerard's mind was mostly empty though, other than the same phrase that cried in his head, begging for his attention even though it knew it had it. I want to go home, it said, and repeated itself over and over, making him question how the Hell everything went so wrong.

Whether the way that day began, or how his life ended, and an era of misery began instead.

They walked down the corridors, passing portraits and statues, until they reached the old, wooden rooms of the elves.

All the way there, Lindsey rubbed Gerard's back, gently massaging the tense muscles. She whispered soothing things to him, and wiped the tears from his face, even though they kept coming.

They reached their destination, and Lindsey pushed the door to the elf quarters open, it creaked as it moved. She led Gerard through the quarters, and stopped in front of a room, which, Gerard assumed must be hers, since she didn't know where his was.

Carefully, Lindsey sat Gerard down on the uncomfortable bed, and he whimpered as his aching body moved in a way that made all of his bruised organs strain and hurt.

"Shh," Lindsey murmured softly, running her hand through his hair.

Gerard let out a noise from the back of his throat, a somewhat combination of a whine and a whimper. Lindsey sighed, and when he looked up at her, his heart twisted a little at the look on her face.

Lindsey's face was contoured with sadness, her eyebrows furrowed, and her mouth was pulled down in a frown. But in her eyes—there was a fire there, a pit of madness and anger, of hatred. And Gerard believed he had a pretty good guess of who it was aimed towards.

Gerard blinked furiously, trying to will the tears away. But they slipped still, and he found himself crying again. Lindsey gasped, and wrapped her arms around Gerard's shoulders. She hugged him tightly, careful to not touch his bruised forehead.

Gerard tangled his hands in her shirt, letting his tears soak in the thin material as he whimpered into her stomach. "I-It hurts," he cried, and Lindsey's arms tightened around him.

"I know, Gerard," she whispered sadly, and her hand trailed up and down his back, stoking it comfortingly.

"I d-don't want this anymore, it h-hurts!" Gerard exclaimed, his voice quivering and thick with emotion.

Lindsey let go of Gerard, who whined at the loss, and crouched down in front of him. She took his face in her hands and held it softly, looking at him. He looked away, and bit the inside of his cheek, wincing slightly at the feeling of the raw tissue.

"Gerard," Lindsey said sternly, reminding him of the way his mother would do the same when she was displeased with him.

"Gerard, look at me,"

Gerard shook his head, still not looking at her. "D-Don’t wanna,"

"Please, maja?" Lindsey questioned, desperation noticeable in her voice.

Gerard's head snapped in Lindsey's direction at the sound of the elven pet name, one that he hadn't heard in five years. His eyes were wide as he stared at her, and although he didn't want to look her in the eye, he couldn't not after seeing the relief that softened her features.