C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N

December 31st, 1943

"Are you ready to go?" Slughorn asked, opening the Hogwarts gates for Harry and Tom.

"Yes, sir," they chimed, giving Slughorn polite smiles.

Slughorn cast disillusionment charms around them and grabbed both of their arms.

"This might feel a bit unpleasant," Slughorn said, giving Harry and Tom a nervous smile before twisting in his place.

Unpleasant was an understatement! It felt like their body was being squished and throttled in a tiny straw!

When they appeared outside of the entrance to Nikita Pavlov's concert (his first one since the war began!), Slughorn lifted his disillusionment charms.

"I'll come to pick you both up in three hours. Don't stray away from here. It isn't safe. The only reason why the Headmaster let you both out was because you both are top students in your year and because I agreed to drop you off and protect you. Don't abuse this privilege," Slughorn said sternly, his tone serious and far from his usual voice.

Harry and Tom nodded, the excitement in their faces dimming a bit.

It had been easy to forget about the wars (Wizarding England was at war against Grindlewald) behind Hogwarts' protective walls. No one really liked to talk about the horrors going on outside of Hogwarts, so it was easy to pretend that everything was fine, that they wouldn't be going back to their poverty stricken orphanage for the summer, that they wouldn't be in danger of possible bombs dropping at random intervals.

Slughorn nodded and apparated back outside of Hogwarts' gates after he saw Tom and Harry hand their tickets to someone in the ticket book.

Both boys were glad that they dressed up, seeing as everyone was decked in diamonds and gold. Ignoring all the questioning glances they were getting, Tom and Harry headed to one of the booths that was above most of the audience. Whenever Tom asked how he got VIP seating, Harry would just coyly smile and say that he pulled a few strings.

They settled in their plush seats, the deep reds and browns of the booth creating a cozy, somewhat intimate feel.

"When do you think the war will be over?" Harry asked Tom quietly, sitting stiffly in his seat.

Tom shrugged, feigning nonchalance to not further worry Harry. "I'd give it another year or two. After all, the sheep are now awake and turning into tigers."

Upon seeing Harry's questioning glance, Tom started to explain what he meant.

"A good 60% of humanity will always be sheep, blindly following and believing in some higher power that promises to save them. In fact, I'm 100% sure that if I were to start blaming muggles for the Wizarding World's deterioration, I would get at least 50% of the wizarding population on my side. It's just how humanity is: stupid and naïve. Wizards try to believe themselves to be high and mighty when, in fact, they are below muggles when it comes to evolution and progression. The purebloods will whine and complain about how muggleborns are taking over wizarding culture, when the fact is that they have the power to bring back that culture, but they don't because they want someone else to lead them and do it for them.

"Right now, Germany is a prime example of this. Hitler has persuaded the mass that the Jewish were responsible for their low economy and has taken charge, everyone following his orders in hope that he would raise their economy and life styles. The only thing is that his plan is working. The German economy has risen and their currency value has gone up, which is why Hitler has Germany in his back pocket. The people are grateful for what he has done for them, so they follow him in a show of good faith.