chapter five- The Sorting Hat

YOUR POV:

The doors opened to the Great Hall that my mother had told me about. It looks exactly how she described it. Students filled the four tables, all wearing black robes and hates. The hall was big enough to fit three elephants inside, and candles floating above our heads, with the night sky.

"Is that the real sky, Hermione? I remember reading it in a book, but I forgot what it said." I asked, turning to her.

"No, it's just bewitched to look like the night sky. You probably read about it in Hogwarts, a History." She said while staring at the bewitched sky, which looks incredibly real.

I nodded at her reply, and saw Ron whispering something to Harry in front of us. Ron wiggled his eyebrows and motioned his head to my direction. Harry nudged an elbow in Ron's ribs, once again. We suddenly came to a stop in front of an ancient, damaged, pointy hat. The tall woman climbed the few steps and stood next to the hat.

"Wait around here." She said with a scroll in her hand pointing at the edge of the steps. 

"Now before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." She said turning to an old man with a long, white beard, half moon glasses and long white hair.

"I have a few words I wish to announce. First years please note, that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students." I looked over to Hermione who has listening carefully.

"Also our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds." Professor Dumbledore said pointing to the direction of where Mr Filch was, with a cat next to him. He had long black hair but bald on top, with brown clothes and a spiteful expression on his face.

"To everyone who not wish to die a painful death. Thank you." Dumbledore finished. Painful death? Please, it can't be that dangerous. At the end of the sentence I stifled a chuckle. Hermione glared at me and rolled her eyes. I really do laugh at the worst times.

The tall woman opened her mouth to speak again, "When I call her name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head. And you will be sorted into your houses." She finished lifting up the hat and looking at the list of names to see which one was first. As luck had it, Hermione was first. I caught a couple things she muttered. Such as, 'Oh, no', 'relax'.

"Mental that one, I'm telling you." Ron whispered to Harry and I.

"She's not that bad." I replied, feeling bad for the poor girl.

The hat was placed on Hermione's head, and it formed a pair of great, firm eye pockets with a slit for a mouth.

"Right then, right. Hmm, GRYFFINDOR!" The sorting hat shouted. Cheers and whistles roared from the Gryffindor table, I was also clapping for Hermione. Ron, Harry and I watched Hermione skip along happily to the Gryffindor table.

"Draco, Malfoy!" The woman read. Draco slowly went up the steps, slightly nervous. The hat barley touched the tip of his gelled, sleek, blonde hair.

"SLYTHERIN!" The sorting hat yelled. The Slytherin table cheered for Malfoy.

A mischievous smirk grew on Draco's face. Eyeing Harry, Ron and I with a cold sparkle in his eye.

"There's not a witch or wizard who went bad in Slytherin." Ron whispered to Harry, forgetting I was an earshot away. Another girl came up, I think her name was Susan, she got sorted into Hufflepuff.

I saw Harry rub his forehead, where his scar is located and winced.

"What's happened, Harry?" I asked worried for my friend.