Chapter 9

We had one more Hogsmeade trip and I was still double-minded about going with my ankle broken then again the desire of wanting to see Hogsmeade was too much to resist.

So, me, (BF/N), Ron and Hermione all together left for Hogsmeade and I knew meanwhile in the castle Harry would be owning his father and his friends' prized possession.

After hours of scouting around Hogsmeade, watching people, doing window-shoppings, laughing, and overall enjoying with my friends we entered Honeydukes and me and (BF/N) stood beside Ron and Hermione who were arguing over what to buy for Harry.

"Ugh, no, Harry won't want one of those, they're for vampires, I expect," Hermione said.

I smirked and said, "Edward" in (BF/N)'s ears as she giggled.

"How about these?" said Ron, shoving a jar of Cockroach Clusters under Hermione's nose.

"Definitely not," said Harry, whom I forget would be entering now due to the adrenaline rush that the trip gave me, making me jump slightly and land on my injured ankle.

Yelping, I flailed my arm trying to get hold of something, anything. And suddenly an arm wrapped around my waist lifting me and putting me back on my feet as I clutched onto that anonymous arm, eyes closed as I hopped up and down with my good leg.

"You alright?" A voice managed to break through the unnecessary thoughts I was having in my head. I found out who the voice belonged to quickly enough to let go of the arm I took hold of and opened my eyes to see a pair of grey orbs.

"Um, yeah, I am really sorry"

He smiled, patting my arm and sidestepping and walking into the shop briskly. I stared ahead dumbfounded but a smirk present on my face as I turned to look at him, my eyebrow raised in question for which he answered in a shrug.

I shook my head and turned my attention back to my friends. (BF/N) who had a knowing smirk, stared at me.

I wrapped my arms around Hermione and (BF/N). "Come on ladies and gentlemen, let's have some butterbeer."

Within half of my butterbeer, the arrival of people I wished never happened came.

As the two professors, Hagrid and the minister started chatting I was more concerned about the end of their discussion.

"Do you know, I still have trouble believing it," said Madam Rosmerta, "Of all the people to go over to the Dark Side, Sirius Black was the last I'd have thought... I mean, I remember him when he was a boy at Hogwarts. If you'd told me then what he was going to become, I'd have said you'd had too much mead."

"You don't know the half of it, Rosmerta," said Fudge, "The worst he did isn't widely known."

I bit my lip and clutched the handle of the butterbeer more tightly.

"The worst?" said Madam Rosmerta, her voice alive with curiosity. "Worse than murdering all those poor people, you mean?"

"I certainly do," said Fudge.

"I can't believe that. What could possibly be worse?"

"You say you remember him at Hogwarts, Rosmerta," murmured Professor McGonagall. "Do you remember who his best friend was?"

"Naturally," said Madam Rosmerta, with a small laugh. "Never saw one without the other, did you? The number of times I had them in here - ooh, they used to make me laugh. Quite the double act, Sirius Black and James Potter!"

I smiled into my butterbeer that I had positioned near my mouth to stop anyone from seeing my expression.

"Precisely," said Professor McGonagall. "Black and Potter. Ringleaders of their little gang. Both very bright, of course - exceptionally bright, in fact - but I don't think we've ever had such a pair of troublemakers -"

"I dunno," chuckled Hagrid. "Fred and George Weasley could give 'em a run fer their money."

The smile only widening at the thought of how accurate Hagrid is.

"You'd have thought Black and Potter were brothers!" said Professor Flitwick.

"Inseparable!"

"Of course they were," said Fudge. "Potter trusted Black beyond all his other friends. Nothing changed when they left school. Black was the best man when James married Lily. Then they named him godfather to Harry. Harry has no idea, of course. You can imagine how the idea would torment him."

'How brilliant you are, minister! Speaking about something like this in a pub where students could come and go...awesome' I thought and clapped sarcastically at him in my mind.

"Because Black turned out to be in league with You-Know-Who?" whispered Madam Rosmerta.

"Worse even than that, m'dear..." said Fudge "Not many people are aware that the Potters knew You-Know-Who was after them. Dumbledore, who was, of course, working tirelessly against You-Know-Who, had a number of useful spies. One of them tipped him off, and he alerted James and Lily at once. He advised them to go into hiding. Well, of course, You-Know-Who wasn't an easy person to hide from. Dumbledore told them that their best chance was the Fidelius Charm."

"How does that work?" asked Madam Rosmerta

"An immensely complex spell," Professor Flitwick explained, "involving the magical concealment of a secret inside a single, living soul. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or SecretKeeper, and is henceforth impossible to find - unless, of course, the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it. As long as the Secret-Keeper refused to speak, You-Know-Who could search the village where Lily and James were staying for years and never find them, not even if he had his nose pressed against their sitting room window!"

"So Black was the Potters' Secret-Keeper?" whispered Madam Rosmerta.

"Naturally," said Professor McGonagall. "James Potter told Dumbledore that Black would die rather than tell where they were, that Black was planning to go into hiding himself... and yet, Dumbledore remained worried. I remember him offering to be the Potters' Secret-Keeper himself."

"He suspected Black?" gasped Madam Rosmerta.

"He was sure that somebody close to the Potters had been keeping You-Know-Who informed of their movements," said Professor McGonagall darkly. "Indeed, he had suspected for some time that someone on our side had turned traitor and was passing a lot of information to You-Know-Who."

"But James Potter insisted on using Black?"

"He did," said Fudge heavily. "And then, barely a week after the Fidelius Charm had been performed -"

"Black betrayed them?" breathed Madam Rosmerta.

With that, I was done listening to their proclaimed truth and stormed out of the pub and into a place with a few pine trees.

I repeatedly slammed my hand into one of those trees experiencing my emotions overcome me.

"Hey, Pride, calm down," said (BF/N), who I had no idea had come here.

"Are they out of their minds!? Sirius would never do that!" I yelled after casting a 'Muffliato' charm around us.

"The seven years they were here was enough for them to know he wouldn't dare betray them!"

"I know (Y/N). But you can't, right now, change their mind."

She wiped the tears cascading my cheeks as she smiled. "You look like a mess"

I stared at her. "I hate you"

She chuckled. "And dude this Hermione is getting on my nerves like she believes what that Lavender said would be true and she is asking me! But honest I don't blame them either, your outbursts and remarks do provoke suspicions. So, you should stop"

"Why does everyone ask me to shut up!?"