7

Nina - Ed Sheeran

If It Hadn't Been For Love - Adele

Popular Song - Ariana Grande ft MIKA

Tattoos On This Town - Jason Aldean

Castles Made Of Sand - Jimi Hendrix

As I walked through the door, I saw my mom immediately.

She didn’t look surprised to see why, but why should she have been? I had told her that I was going to come home later than usual. We greeted each other and she asked me about school and about exams: the usual. I told her about the dance and she looked at me with a funny expression on her face.

“Darling, are you sure that you want to go to this dance?” she asked quizzically. Why was she so puzzled, I wondered?

“Yes mom, I love dances and we’re just going as friends. He made that very clear. He’s using me to keep this girl, Katherine, away from him.”

He was using me wasn’t he? It really hadn’t occurred to me until I’d said it aloud. There was actually no real reason why he couldn’t have just asked a girl from his school to do it. He just wanted to bring someone she didn’t know and congratulations, he was going to.

My mother still looked unsure. I couldn’t blame her. She probably thought that I was going to fall in love with him again, but that ship has sailed and it burnt away at sea. That’s kind of weird when you think about it; a ship burning in the middle of the ocean.

I don’t know if I’ll ever feel the same way about him, maybe I will fall for him again and maybe I won’t but only time can tell.

“Okay dear, if that’s how you feel. How much are we going to pay for this?”

“Terence said that we didn’t have to pay for tickets because his dad teaches there and making it automatically free for him and his ‘date’.”

I said the word date a little weirdly. I don’t know why though. It’s not like this was news to me.

“Oh! Well how nice of Daniel. Well what is the dress code?” she asked.

“Semi-formal, I want to wear red, if that’s ok. A medium length red dress and I want curly hair. Oh mom, I can already see it! A red dress, my curly hair and either black or red heels! I can’t wait!”

“Sounds a little too excited for someone who is doing their friend a favour, Jasmine.” As she said it, a smile crept onto her face.

She was right, what was happening to me. I excused myself and promptly went to my room. I had homework to do anyways. The dance would be in a week, which was also a week before school ended. I couldn’t wait.

Time always seemed to fly by for me. Usually things ended before I wanted them to. This week was not one of those times.

It was the longest week of my life. The only time something I had done during that week ever felt short was when I when dress shopping.

We bought my dress at Foschini and my heels at Trueworths. All my accessories would consist of things I already had and things that I picked up at the counter.

I spoke to some friends that I had in Morgan High and they all told me the same thing.

“Dress formally!”, “Wear a dress!”, “You need to look acceptable!” and my personal favourite “If you come here in pants, I will cut you and your pants!”, ah friendship.

Finally the day had come. Terence had no idea what I was wearing and it was going to be a surprise. Of course, I knew what he was wearing: a black tux with a white shirt. Together, we were going to look amazing. My mom drove me to his house. Before I got out she turned around and told me something.

“If anything goes wrong and I mean anything, you call me! If your phone gets stolen, here’s a phone card and some money.” She handed them to me, I puzzled. I don’t even think that Morgan High has a phone machine. She took one more look at me and said, “Have fun, and be back at one!”

I hopped out of the car and looked up to his house. It was a double storey townhouse and it had not changed a bit. I knocked on his door and guess who answered came as a shock to me.

Sorry that this chapter is so short, I don't really know what happen, but on the bright side i think the last three chapters are signifcantly longer. In my opinion, that's where the real action takes place. It kind of builds the foundation for the next book, but when you think about it, this book as a whole does that by itself...