Blushing

Lewis' POV

John drove the truck carefully, pulling up neatly at the front of the pack house. I was at the passenger door before the vehicle had come to a complete stop. Only a pane of glass and steel door separated me from my mate. She grinned, her eyes bright and excited. She removed her seatbelt whilst I opened the door for her. Before she could clamber out I pulled her into a tight embrace swinging her around. The sound of surprised laughter in my ears numbed the spasm of pain from my stitches.

I set her gently on the ground but didn't remove my hands from her waist.

"Hello," she greeted breathlessly. Her soft British accent sent electric tingles through my veins. I wanted her so badly.

"Hi," my voice was huskier than normal.

"You look good, how are you feeling? Is it all healed?" 

I thought back to Minerva's ranting that I had to stay in bed or risk not healing properly and falling unconscious once more.

"Yep, I'm all mended." It wasn't quite a lie, I already felt much better now that she was here. She pulled back slightly, not to get out of my embrace but enough that I could read her face and no longer felt her heart hammering against mine.

"Good because we need to talk. Connor told me everything." 

I froze, she didn't look afraid or repulsed. That was good but then again she might not really know everything.

"Exactly what did he tell you?" I asked hesitantly.

"You're the alpha of a pack of werewolves and I'm your mate which makes me the Luna. John explained more about mates in the truck." 

I stared at her lovely deep eyes. She looked a little relieved. I had thought that I would have to make her love me before I could explain any of this stuff. I looked up to see John leaning against his truck. He had found my mate and brought her to me, risking his life in the woods with an unknown sniper on the loose.  

"Thank you for everything my friend, we'll talk later." He would be rewarded. John smiled and nodded his head. I reluctantly moved from my embrace with Lauren but kept one arm securely around her as I led her to the pack house.  "You're right. We do need to talk."

"Yep, firstly about Connor." 

I wondered what he had done to her. Had she been afraid? I held her close.

"I'm sorry for what he put you through."

"He did it because of his mate Simon. He said that you were going to execute him." We were mounting the porch steps now.

"Yes, it's my fault. I should have foreseen this reaction in him." After all, if it had been Lauren I would have done much worse.

"Are you still going to have Simon killed?"

"Yes."

She stopped walking and quickly sidestepped my hold and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Don't, he's suffered enough." She pleaded. I motioned for the others to leave us but I doubt she noticed. She was determinedly holding my gaze, her chin was held high giving the impression of an indignant puppy. She looked adorable and I would have teased had it not been for the fire blazing in her eyes. "He won't disobey another order." She rashly promised.

"It wasn't just that. He lied to me to cover up your disappearance. We lost crucial time that we could have been searching for you. If anything-" I couldn't continue. The idea was more painful than anything, more than I could handle.  Her eyes widened in surprise, she flushed and cleared her throat to relieve the awkwardness.