Chapter 12

Clary POV:

Clary couldn't believe what had just happened; Jace had put his arms around her and held her there for what seemed like seconds but had probably been hours. For all of the time that she was in his arms, she felt electricity zinging through her body.

And then the alarm went off.

Clary's body froze at the screeching sound that interrupted her peaceful rest in the arms of a godlike person that she had only known for about a day but had had a crush on for far more than that.

Jace, however, shot up from where he was and basically dragged her along the floor as he ran down that hall.

She was stumbling as he tugged her into a room that appeared as Jace placed a hand on a small tile of marble that was slightly out of place. The interruption in the pattern of the tiles was the only indication that it didn't belong on that perfect white wall. 

A part of the wall sunk in and moved to the left allowing just enough space for Clary and Jace to go through the mystery tunnel. 

"What? What happened?" Clary said, once she had caught her breath.

Jace looked at her with worried eyes. "That alarm goes off every time the rebels attack."

Clary's eyes widened and said in a panicked voice, "What about my mom and Lydia? They can't be by themselves while there are people in the castle that are trying to kill them!!"

"Don't worry about them, I'm sure that they will be taken care of and put into a safe room."

Despite his words of comfort, Clary still felt waves of worry course through her body as she though of her family.

She looked down at her shoes and let a silent tear fall down her cheek.

She felt his calloused hands wipe away the tear. With a surprising amount of gentleness, he lifted her chin up is that their faces were only centimetres apart. His eyes bore into hers and she felt her heart skip a beat as his other hand came up and rested on her hip. She watched as his eyes flitted down to her lips and she immediately felt her body tense up. 

No. 

She had just found out about Sebastian. This was too soon.

She felt him start to lean in and immediately put her hands on his chest, turning away to look at a wall.

"I'm sorry... I can't" She whispered in a small voice, barely audible

"It's alright," He said in a hurried voice as he dropped his arms from her body, "I understand, that whole thing with your ex is completely messed up and I can't imagine how you're feeling... I'm sorry. I should have asked if you were fine with it... Which you probably aren't and won't be... Umm. I'm sorry." He scratched his head awkwardly and looked away.

Despite the situation that they were in, Clary smiled. "It's okay. No harm done."

They stood there, silently, staring at anything but each other, which only increased the amount of awkwardness in the small room. 

"Tell me about yourself." Clary said suddenly, walking towards a block of wood that was in the corner of the room. She sat down and dared to glance up at Jace.

Jace was looking at her with a confused expression on his face. "Nobody has ever asked me that before. They're always asking about my brother or about what I think of politics."

Clary felt butterflies in her stomach, "Not me, I guess I'm different that way."

He chuckled, "You're different in more ways than that."