Chapter fourteen

•★ Tex ★•

Roy was right about that song going viral. It fucking exploded all over the internet. I felt proud and then I felt bad. Did she hear it? Did it hurt her? I know for a fact that it has been played at popular radio stations. Roy keeps track. Either way, not a peep from her. I swear, there's a chemical warfare waging in my head. I'm constantly torn between being angry with her for leaving and sad about missing her.

A shutter-sound snaps me outta my thoughts. I frown at the girl on the other end of the table. "What are you doing?"

She shrugs, eyes on her phone. "Posting a photo of our date on Instagram."

Right.

Our date.

Maybe I should focus on that. Instead, I sigh and focus on the gull that flies high above the shoreline. It's stormy outside and the dumb bird keeps flying up wind, barely moving forward. Just like me. I've been trying to move on and in some ways, I have, but my heart remains stuck in the past. I suppose, today is one those sad days.

She speaks again, not the most pleasant sound. "Just a heads up, I'm using a carnival filter to make you seem less gloomy. It would really help if you'd create an account as well. I could tag you and ... "

Why am I sitting in this bohemian restaurant with whatshername? Seriously, the fuck is her name again? Margo? Marie? Anyway, she wanted to check this place out before vlogging about it or something. She's an influencer, whatever the fuck that is. To be honest, I haven't listened to a thing she said. She doesn't care. I'm pretty sure she only wants to date me because our song got ranked eighth on the Billboard Hot 100. I mean, she all but bodychecked me when I left the studio and asked, "Aren't you that guy from that popular song?" I'm okay with being that guy. Anything more is too much.

I watch her for a second while she's glued to her cellular device. Not entirely accidental, she's a redhead. It's probably the only reason I agreed to go out with her. It sure as hell wasn't her superficial oration about the importance of having the right reputation.

No, it's the hair. Though, Ellie's hair is a much deeper shade of red. Depending on the light source, it either resembles chestnuts roasted over an autumn fire or ripe apples plucked from some rustic orchard.

Too lyrical, perhaps.

This girl's hair color, however, is orange like carrots. I don't trust orange food. It's unnatural. Except for actual oranges, of course. Anyway, carrots are only orange due to days-of-yore Dutch politics. That alone is reason enough to be suspicious. Just look at what they did in—

"Tex?"

Fuck.

Did I say all that out loud? "Ehh ... what?"

Her square-looking fingernail points at my plate. "If you're not going to finish your food, can I have it?"

The question surprises me. Considering her clothing size, I didn't take her for a big eater. It's cool, reminds me of Ellie. She had an appetite in more than one way.

Stop comparing.

I shove my plate to her side. "Yeah, sure. You can eat it all."

She laughs like I said the funniest thing. "I'm not going to eat it. I just want to swap some asparagus and rearrange my plate for a better picture."

Dear fuck have mercy on me.

My time is wasted here. I can't bear to sit through this lunch any longer. Not even to feel a modicum of normal. "Hey—uhm—Mandy? I'm gonna go. They need me at the studio."