Chapter twenty-five

*♡ Ellie ♡*

Sunlight tingles my eyelids. What time is it? I peek an eye open and glance at the alarm clock. Holy guacamoly! I've slept for nearly twelve hours. Twelve uninterrupted hours. That can only mean one thing ... Tex is really here. It wasn't a perfect hallucination.

Quick as a wink, I roll over to find him, only to be greeted with fear and confusion. The bed is cold and empty. No sign of my truelove.

Did I lose my mind?

I jump out of bed and rush to the living room. He's not here either. I perk my ears to hear if the shower is running, but the sound of silence is all there is. Did he leave without saying goodbye? Did he regret yesterday? In a last attempt, I check the dryer ... his clothes are gone.

Please no.

I collapse in front of the build-in closet that houses our washer and dryer. My lungs have trouble catching oxygen and tears are welling up.

Sounds of the front door opening and closing and heavy footsteps suddenly carry through the apartment. Jonathan has a lighter thread. That must mean salvation is here.

"Birdie?" Tex rushes my way. "What happened? Why are you on the floor?"

My eyes find his confused ones. I get to my feet before I worry him too much and smile away the sob. "I thought you were gone."

He laughs softly. "Silly bird. Why would I do a thing like that? Didn't you read the note I left on the white board in the kitchen?"

No?

I dash into the kitchen to check his message and chuckle with mirth. What a poet.

BRB - Tex

He stands in the door opening when I turn back around, looking a bit guilty. "Sorry I wasn't here when you woke. I promised I'd be here, but I really thought I could sneak out and back in while you slept. I tried to wake you. Seriously, bears in hibernation are more compliant than you are."

This is how it's supposed to be. Him and I poking fun at each other. Fuzzy warmth spreads from my chest all the way to my toes. "That's okay, you're here now. Where did you go, anyway?"

"The hotel called to remind me that my bag and bike were still there. I went to pick them up." He tosses my own set of keys on the counter. "I also got you some breakfast. Follow me."

He leads me back to the living area and gestures at the coffee table. A small brown paper bag lies on top of a big rectangular box. I glance at the see-through lid. A dozen brightly colored and extremely delicious-looking donuts lie underneath it. Sprinkles, marshmallows, jelly ... he got them all.

My stomach growls at the sight of it and saliva fills my mouth. However, I'm aware that my eyes are bigger than my belly. A piece of wisdom provided by time. "I hope you don't expect me to eat them all at once."

He nods, no humor. "I do. You're gonna eat them one for one while I watch."

What?

"Tex!" Something between a surprised gasp and a laugh comes from my mouth. "I'm not doing that. Why are you trying to force feed me?"

His gaze darts away, like he's determining whether to make a joke or be sincere. A shrug follows. "I went through the kitchen cabinets last night. Not even a tiny cookie crumble was found. I don't believe for a second that you kicked your sugar addiction out of health reasons."

Oh, that's why.

The punishment I laid upon myself is not something I ever confided in anyone. No one knows. He doesn't need to know either. I gloss it over by conveying only the surface of the truth. "I wasn't really in the mood for pleasure-food. I missed you so much and every piece of candy reminded me of those silly times we used to have."