Chapter thirty

•★ Tex ★•

Fucking Faroaks.

Even though my girl is from there, I hate the town. Maybe it's because of the last time I was there. Being heartbroken and all. I shake it off and head for the beat-up Volvo that's waiting for me in a shadowy spot near the airport departure hall.

My female driver smiles when I slide into the passenger's seat. "Are you ready for some action?"

I nod, ready as fuck. "Yup. Are you?"

"Definitely," Maggie answers. "I've been hoping for this to happen for a long time. To be honest, I'm a little excited."

"Yeah, me too." I look out the window, ignoring that annoying hum in my gut. This might be one of those moments where I'm about to fuck everything up. Might? Ellie is gonna be mad as hell when she finds out why I'm here or that I snooped through her phone to obtain Maggie's number. Fuck it, though. The fact that we couldn't spend the weekend together pissed me off enough to cancel today's rehearsal and book a flight.

We drive in silence until Maggie puts on some music. Korn blasts through the car. Old school, but I like it. I'm not surprised by her choice of music. She's basically me with tits.

Small talk might be considered normal behavior in moments like these. Lamely, I ask, "How's Frank? Are you still seeing him."

She nods tightly, eyes on the road. "It's not been easy, with the distance and everything. He wants me to come to L.A. to live with him."

This piques my interest. It wouldn't be the worst thing if she lived close by. "You want that too?"

Her lips curl only slightly. "L.A. has been one of those fantasies that was never gonna happen and now, all of a sudden, it can."

I can't read her mood. "That's good, right?"

A sigh. "Yeah, but it's difficult. Everything is expensive and since I dropped out of college to work at a record store, job opportunities aren't exactly lying around the corner. I'm not moving only to end up busting my ass for less than minimum wage with no benefits."

Makes sense. I've been there too. "What kinda job are you looking for?"

She makes a noise that probably means the question is redundant. "Anything that involves music, obviously."

Yup, me with tits.

I smirk and lean back in my chair. "I must say, you have superb taste in music. After all, you came to our show."

"Cocky fucker." She laughs, and then turns to me with a look that suggests a sudden idea popped up. "Now that I think about it, a huuuuge thank you is in order."

Ehh?

I eye her skeptically. "Why?"

Her smirk deepens. "If I hadn't taken Ellie to your show that day, you would've never met her."

Holy shit. That's true. A cold shudder runs down my spine. The idea of never having met Ellie unsettles my very core. It seems I owe Maggie more than a thank you. "How about we settle this debt with a favor?"

Her brow lifts. "Keep talking."

"If you're serious about moving to L.A., I will talk to Roy about a job at the label. I'm sure he could use you as a scout or something."

Her shriek pierces my eardrums. "Are you serious? That would be fucking amazing!"

Thankfully, she manages to keep the car within the lane. Lying dead in a ditch is not my preferable state of being. I shrug with feigned modesty. "Consider it done. Roy loves doing shit for me."