Soon Enough And Forever Again

The bridge was quiet. Cars didn't seem to drive by this late at night on the south side of town, and part of Akaashi was pleased with this. His vision was murky. It felt like wading through a thick swamp, nothing felt real.

He wanted his last moments with Bokuto to be quiet. He wanted to hear every word the man said, every intake of breath, every shift in movement, and pack everything he could about his partner into his memory.

Bokuto stood next to him on the ledge, as they looked down into the dark waters calmly flowing against the rocks. The breeze swept through their hair, drying the tears on the couple's cheeks.

"Keji..." he breathed. The world seemed to shift.

"Y-yes, Koutaro?"

"I'm scared."

Akaashi turned to look at his lover, who was staring straight down into the darkness below. The lights on the bridge created a heavenly glow, catching light on his golden colored eyes, which were wide in fear, and wet with tears. Tears that looked... Too thick.

"I know. I am as well."

"You are?"

The younger male smiled sadly, "yes, Koutaro... but," he paused, "I'm with you."

"Forever?"

Akkashi let out a weak laugh, "Bokuto-San-"

"No. Keji. Promise me- promise me that we will be together forever. Wherever we go, whatever happens when we jump- please. I- I don't want to lose you." Bokuto choked out. More tears slid down his red cheeks, and in a panic Akaashi went to comfort, taking him into his arms, and squeezing tightly, afraid of letting go.

"Hey.... shh... it's okay."

Bokuto broke off the hug, digging around in his jeans, "I... won't be able to give this to you when I wanted to so.." he sniffled, as Akaashi stepped back, shoulder blades pressing softly into a large pillar. It felt... Too soft.p Bokuto set one knee on the stone ground as he opened a small black box, lights reflecting onto his face from the small gold ring.

"Keji... I love you. I wanted this to be different you know? I didn't want to drag you into this it's all my fault and-"

"Koutaro..."

"No, Keji, it really is my fault. Sadly I can't change the past... and our future isn't ours anymore. What would have it been like if it was? Would you say yes to this ring? Would we adopt a child? Would- would you love me forever? Why couldn't we be the protagonists of our own story..." he shook his head.

"Keji will you accept-"

He didn't get to finish. Keji had ran forward and hugged him tightly, shaking with the strong force of tears spilling out his eyes. He took the ring, and slid it on his finger, smiling sadly.

"Yes, Koutaro. I accept you. I love you... so much." His voice started to fade out. Akaashi shook his head to clear it.

At this Bokuto smiled, "I know."

"Well," said Keji as he turned towards the waters below,"I'm glad I got to know you."

"I wouldn't want it any different."

The looked at each other, stares holding the weight of the world, all their love packed inside their tiny hearts. The whole atmosphere felt electric, and hot. All too fake. This was really it.

They looked down, and conjoined hands, one wearing a golden ring, gleaming in the light. And then, they did the craziest, bravest thing that they would ever do.

They jumped.

But they weren't falling. Bokuto had gripped onto the railing above them, holding them both up by the arm.

"Keji... I'll see you soon okay?" He smiled.

"I'll see you soon, Bokuto-San." A lot sooner.

And suddenly hot lips were on Kejji's. Bokuto had used his last bit of strength to bring them together one last time. They kissed feverishly, trying to drown in each other, using their last breaths to convey how much they loved, and will continue to love each-other until the end of time. The world swirled and the skys behind them seemed to warp, fogging over. Akaashi felt himself slipping. 

Bokuto let go, and wrapped both hands around Keji, kissing him harder, even as they fell 40 feet into the cold ocean below.

Before hitting the water Keji could have sworn he heard Bokuto whisper, "Your eyes have always been beautiful kashi."

Akaashi woke up with a start and clutched his chest. He couldn't breathe. He didnt know where he was, what was going on, but he needed to know Bokuto was alright.

What the hell was that?

Sure Akaashi had nightmares all the time yet- yet this was Bokuto.

He raced down the stairs about to throw up. He jumped the last two and landed on his feet, sliding a bit on the carpet.

They had just got Daichi back in bed when Bokuto had decided to pass out on the couch. Upon seeing him still there, texting on his phone, keiji was a little relieved.

"Akaashi?" Bokuto squinted in the dark.

"Uh, hey." He breathed pulling his robe closer stepping towards the couch. It was dark out now and the outside lights made the horizon burn in bright colors.

Bokuto scooted over and Akaashi sat down next to him. All was silent.

"I know we just met but you are already special to me Akaashi." Bokuto whispered.

Keiji looked over wide eyed and gapsed softly.

He looked down, picking his nails, "I feel the same about you, Bokuto-san. Honestly... Im worried Im starting to care too much too soon." He admitted with a grimace.

The nightmare. It felt so real and he shivered thinking of the wind at his neck.

How would Bokuto feel about the dream? Why isnt he saying anything now. Oh god, what had Akaashi done now? He turned in a panic but quickly exhaled at the sight of Bokuto slipping into sleep right beside him.

"H-hold me, ...jii. Just for a moment." He sighed, laying his head on Keiji's arm.

Akaashi blushed, and smiled softly as he pulled the blanket off the couch and folded it around them. For the first time in what seemed like forever, he was able to sleep without dreams.