4|Devil's assistant

Dedicated to: tangytaur for reading and supporting this story

Jake
☆__________☆

Feet tapping against the black marble tiles as I descended the flight of steps that led into our mansion, I glazed my eyes around the courtyard.

My parents, Joey and Myra Hardy were standing in front of a brand new race car with broad smiles on their faces.

Keeping a straight face, I approached them.

Mom's ocean blue eyes twinkled, while dad had a proud look on his face. They were both proud of me.

Proud of the young man I'd grown into, and proud that I had summoned the courage to return to the same high school my heartless ex attended, despite how much they tried to convince me to enrol into a preparatory academy not so far away.

"Good morning dad. Mom," I nodded at dad and placed a subtle peck on mom's cheeks.

"Good morning Honey," mom responded, her delicate hands playfully pulling my ears.

My eyes accessed the race car behind them. Midnight black Porsche with red rings around its strong black tires tinted windows and a pretty red bow on the top of an engine I was sure could run several miles per hour without messing up. A ride of this sort would make a lot of heads turn at school.

"Nice ride, dad," I commented.

He nodded, running a hand along the body.

Because it had a bow on it, it had to be a gift to someone. "Who's it for? " I asked, lifting my backpack higher on my shoulder and shooting my eyebrows.

"For you," dad said in that timbre tone of his.

"But why? Mabel's still good and fine. . ." I jutted a chin at my as sleek blue mustang.

Mom chuckled. She had always found the fact that I named my cars funny and obviously, still did.

"Mabel. . . needs some rest son," dad replied, sounding like the car was old when she was barely even ten months old.

There had to be a catch to this. My eighteenth birthday was still months away, and I'd not done anything spectacular enough to receive a gift like this.

Except. . .

"Is this another deliberate plan to cheer me up about what Laurie did?"

Mom's face contorted into her classic busted-but-trying-to-cover-up look while dad gave an oh-well-we-tried shrug dipping his hands into his pockets, to fetch the keys of this monster ride.

"You know us too well son," he said with a hearty laugh, placing the car keys in my palm.

I was going to refuse it because I wasn't in the mood for a new toy, but the look on his face told me there was no room for debate and I just had to accept the gift; whether I wanted to, or not.