Chapter 15 - Furious?

"Here you go father, the papers that you want..." Ijekiel muttered, giving his father a file.

"Thank you, son," Roger said, smiling. Before going back to his work and telling his son to go back, he notices the look etched on Ijekiel's face.

"Is there something else you want me to do father?" Ijekiel's asked with his head tilted. His father is giving him a weird look, he can't help but ask.

"Ijekiel..." Ijekiel stood straight, ready to listen to his father's orders but his shoulders soon slouched as he heard what Roger told him next.

"You've been helping me with my work for the past weeks, do you even think about getting some rest or having fun or something?" Roger asked, giving Ijekiel a worrying look.

In his eyes, Ijekiel was no longer the son that he always sees. He's been walking through the path of being a workaholic—like him—which is not good. The light that he always emitted like the way his wife does is nowhere to be found.

And it's worrying him. Deeply.

"W-Why are you suddenly asking me that?" Ijekiel stuttered, not knowing what to say besides that.

Well, who would have thought to hear that kind of question from your workaholic dad?

Roger cleared his throat, looking away in embarrassment. He has never talked to his son like this even since Ijekiel entered his teens.

They were so close in the past, the best father and son that you could ask for but it just suddenly faded away in a flash as if those memories were a dream.

It's all because of work and school that the two were pulled apart from the bond that they shared in the past.

"Well, I'm your father of course. I'm just worried about the state where you are in," he said, finally facing his son.

Ijekiel pursed his lips, blinking in surprise. "Uh-huh..." That was all he could utter.

Who the hell is this person and what did he do to his father?!

"H-How about you father?" Ijekiel thought of a question. "You've been working a lot these days..."

"Uh, this?" Roger picked the papers. "After checking it and writing a letter to his majesty then I might be free. Well, maybe we could also... Uh, you know... play chess or walk around the town... If you want to."

And to Roger's surprise, he saw a glint in Ijekiel's eyes but his expression was blank. It was really clear that the latter was trying hard not to show his true emotions.

"Y-You could do that?" Ijekiel cleared his throat, hiding the excitement in his voice.

It's been a while since they have their father and son bonding and Ijekiel was dying to ask his father but he feels so awkward, he was happier to hear it from his father than him saying it first.

Ah, what a good day it is for him.

"Only if you want to," Roger replied with a shrug, trying not to cry and coo at his son's expression.

"I-I'd like to.." Ijekiel almost immediately said.

"Then, after I finish this then we can go."

"Okay. I'll maybe go and visit Athy while I wait." Ijekiel tried so hard not to sound excited.

"Sure."

And with that Ijekiel walked out of the office and happily went out to the palace to visit his childhood friend and maybe talk with her about what happened just now.

In just a flash, the carriage arrived in front of the doors of the emerald palace. Ijekiel hopped off from it and thanked the coachman before going into the palace.

He was greeted by the maids and some of the guards in the palace. They all knew about Ijekiel because he's the only close friend that their dear princess have when she was little. They all treated him like their son, just like how they treated Athanasia.

To Ijekiel, the emerald palace was his second home.

Lily, the head maid, guided Ijekiel to Athanasia's room where she assumed where the princess is.

Lily then left Ijekiel as soon as they arrived at the door. Ijekiel thanked the maid before she left.

Gently, Ijekiel knocked on the door before going in but he immediately stopped when he saw another figure in the room, sitting on the edge of the princess's bed.

Ijekiel took a step back, peeking in to see who's that person and why is he sitting beside the princess who is asleep.

His eyes widened in surprise when he recognize the person.

It was his attendant. Lucas.

His teeth clenched and his hand held the knob tighter when he saw the expression that the magician showed.

A very warm and loving smile was etched on his face while caressing the princess's hair. The way that the magician was acting was the complete opposite of the Lucas that he knew.

And more importantly, why is he here in the princess's room and watching her sleep?

Ijekiel was curious and somehow a little bit furious at the scene he saw. It was confusing.

He doesn't know why but Ijekiel immediately left without a word with a sour mood.

He even thought that today was a good day but it turns out it's not.
-

plot twist:
Ijekiel was jealous of Athy that Lucas was staring at her like that instead of him

my lukiel shipper senses are tingling mweheheeheh