Chapter 24: How They Came To Be (part 1)

Previously on Superflash: Far From Home 

"I believe that it would be best kept between Kara and I. Sorry Barry, I can't always let you ruin all the fun."

Nodding at Alfred, Oliver steered a now giggling Kara by the back of her shoulders before she could give anything away to Barry who had immediately looked to her with the puppy dog eyes. Barry looked very amused by the turn of events as he followed after his companions, followed closely by Alfred as he bid goodbye to the trio.

Barry couldn't help but think of all the information he had gotten a few hours prior and he still thinks that Thomas's death was his fault even after Alfred's wise words. But as he looked at the woman holding his hand playfully engaging a banter with his brother dressed in green about who should smile more often, Barry thinks that things just may be alright, just as long as he had two of the most important people in his life with him through the battle. They're getting along just fine and for Barry, for now, that's enough for him.

***

Earth-1 | Central City Zolomon residence: March 18th 2000, 8.00 PM.

The sound of glass breaking rung through the household, followed shortly by a female scream. Frantic footfalls were heard as a scared and panicked eleven year old rushed down the stairs, staring in horror at the sight that greeted him. Hunter Zolomon stood by the foot of the stairs as he witnessed his father violently abusing his mother who was on the floor, cradling her bleeding arm to her chest as she pushed herself far as possible away from her husband, James Zolomon.

"James please listen to me-"

"I said SHUT UP ASHLEY!"

His mother let out another scream as her husband grabbed a expensive glass vase sitting on the side of the table beside him before throwing it at his wife's head. Ashley managed to duck just in time and the vase smashed on the wall behind her, some of the glass shards embedding itself into the porcelain skin on her shoulder. Ashley Zolomon was a crying mess on the ground as she nursed her injuries while her angry husband looked on with sick glee at her pain.

"Mom?"

Ashley's head snapped towards the sound of her son's voice, the tear tracks visible on her cheeks as her eyes widened in panic at her son's appearance. James too turned his head to look at Hunter who backed a step in fright as his father's angry eyes rested upon him.

"N-no, baby get out of here!"

James slapped her hard on the cheek, leaving a bright red hand print shining in the light of the broken lamp to silence her. Ashley's head turned to the side from the force of the slap as more tears threatened to spill down her cheeks, but she attempted to put a brave front for her son who was watching the exchange with a frightened gaze.

"Mommy?"

James then turned towards his son, stalking towards him as Hunter walked backwards, trying to get away from him while his mother pleaded at her husband to let him be.

"James please, he's our son. Don't do this! James! BABY RUN!"

Hunter turned around to run back upstairs to his room, but his father grabbed him by the back of his dark blue sweater and pulled him back, dragging him to his mother who was begging and crawling on the ground to get to her son.

"James please, please let him go.... Please, he's our baby. Don't do this, please."

Hunter struggled at his father's grasp with all his might, trying to get to his distressed mother who was reaching for him. James stepped on her hand, grinning as she let out another scream in pain as a loud crunch echoed when his foot made contact with her hand. Hunter was sobbing, trying even harder to escape from his dad's grip, which tightened the more Hunter reached for his mother.