Jamie and James and the Glass Half Full

April 8th, 2015

I sat down with James last night and had a heart to heart. I asked him if he missed our parents as much as I did, he said he would only miss them if they missed him back. I asked him if he ever thought that him and all the rest of the Godsends would go back to where they came from, and he asked me if that was what I really wanted. I told him that it would make life much easier, and that seemed to hit a nerve with him. He asked me, "If you were a godsend and everyone told you to go back where you came from, and you didn't know how, how would you feel?" I told him I would do my best with the situation I was given, "Welcome to my world, dude."

My opinion has shifted so much lately. I remember when James first got here, I thought he was going to steal my life away, take away the few friends that I had, take my measly job, take my one bedroom shack of an apartment; gallivant away with the small sliver of life I had saved for myself. I couldn't have been more wrong. The idea of sharing with myself was an odd one, but we made due, splitting meals, making hurried runs through the chaotic grocery stores, showering together to conserve water. Per the law, we operated as a single unit. But ever since I met him, I've known that he knows something that I don't. We talk everyday, and even though we are exactly the same person, we think different thoughts. I used to think that the godsends were akin to forgeries of beautiful works of art, but I was wrong. They are their own people, they think for themselves, they are works of art in their own right.

About two weeks ago, we were walking home from the food bank, government grade cheese and powdered milk in hand, when we saw a group of kids and their godsends had popped a fire hydrant open and were playing in the water. James looked at me and smiled my own smile; he set down the groceries and ran into the stream of water coming from the hydrant, getting his clothes soaked. I laughed and watched him play, watched him have fun. It was a pleasant change, seeing people have fun. It was so cliche and silly, but that didn't matter, we took whatever we could get now. 

We haven't eaten in two days.