Chapter 13: The Secret Shaft

Dear reader, if you are interested in maintaining a stable mental state, then I suggest you turn away now, and go read something full of happiness. I've already said it multiple times, this tale is all sorrows and woes, but, if you are reading this, that means you either like sadness and sorrow or you've ignored every warning I have issued. I have no choice, however, but to tell you how the Quagmires were kidnapped for their valuable sapphires.

The children were traumatized. Even worse, they were being kidnapped by order of the notorious villain, Count Olaf.

The hook-handed man quickly put tape over the two triplets' mouths to make sure no one would hear them as he tried to drag them out of the library. Isadora resisted as hard as she could. She figured that it would be difficult for one person to handle two children at once. Duncan tried to resist too, but his fright stood in the way. All he could do was let out a set of tears and shake as the hook-handed man forced him to stand up. He kicked Duncan out of the library, Isadora still tightly held in his other hook, and turned around to try and stop Isadora from her powerful resisting. Duncan took this as a chance to run away and inform the Baudelaires so he could save his sister, but Count Olaf's Hench person wasn't as dumb as Duncan had expected. Two white-faced women were standing right in front of Duncan. They smirked at him and pulled him by both his arms into their car. The hook-handed man followed them and shoved Isadora into the car. They locked the doors and only the hook-handed Hench person stood guard. Isadora and Duncan's hands were untied, so they took the tape off their mouths, each letting out a small 'yelp' as they did so.

"Stop crying Duncan. We need to figure out what to do."

"You're right," he replied as he wiped his tears.

"The Baudelaires and every student is in the auditorium right now."

"I think all people are."

"Well we can't go anywhere with that man standing guard."

"Isadora," Duncan couldn't help but let out a tear, "I'm scared."

"Triplet brother, fear not

We will escape this evil plot."

Duncan managed to form a slight smile.

"Thank you, Isadora."

"You're welcome, brother. We'll be alright, I know it."

"But, remember when Violet said she had a feeling we wouldn't see each other again? What if she's right? What if we are separated forever?"

Isadora couldn't conjure up an answer, for she genuinely feared the same thing Duncan did.

The two were silent for a while, lost in thought, but the silence was broken by the sound of a notorious villain.

"Come on, orphans!" he cried as he ran into his car, his Hench people doing just the same, "We're going on a road trip!"

He switched on the car and began to accelerate, but the triplets lit up when they saw Violet and Klaus right trying to catch up with the car.

"Klaus! We found answers!" Isadora yelled.

"Isadora!" Klaus cried back.

"Duncan!" Violet chipped in.

They saw the Baudelaires run towards them, but the Quagmires knew it was of no help. Children cannot be faster than cars, even if they have been running laps for a couple of weeks.

"VFD! You have to remember!" warned Duncan.

"VFD!"

"Isadora!"