Chapter 9

When Elena awoke she was alone. At first, she thought that she had dreamed their love making but an unmistakable stickiness in her private area proved otherwise. She noticed that her nightgown had been rebuttoned and there was a note on the pillow beside her.

My dearest Elena,

I apologize for not being there when you awoke. I didn't want to scare poor Marie into an early grave, also I know that Malcom has a mouth on him and if I wasn't in my room he would get suspicious and tell father. Last night was the best night of my entire life, undead or alive. I love you Elena.

With love Damon

Elena smiled as she folded the letter and tucked it away in a drawer beside her bed. Marie was there promptly to greet her.

"Milady what can I do for you this morning?" Marie asked in a happy tone.

Elena smiled widely "Marie I would love to have a bath this morning before breakfast, I had quite a warm sleep and feel rather grubby."

Marie noticed the flush of Elena's skin, how she seemed to glow, she wondered if a certain young master was the reason for this happiness. Marie didn't say anything just nodded and prepared the bath.

Elena felt amazing after her bath and got ready for the day, she chose a red dress to wear, because unlike past Damon she knew her Damon loved red. She hoped that he would approve of her choice of attire. She had Marie do her hair in a simple down look, she knew Damon loved to flow his fingers through her hair.

When she was dressed she headed down to the dining hall. Damon, Giuseppe, and Stefan were all waiting for her. Damon was engrossed in a book, Wuthering Heights to be exact. Giuseppe was nose deep in paper work and Stefan looked like he had chewed the entire end of his finger off.

Giuseppe was the first to look up, "Oh Miss Elena how rude of us, we did not even notice you come down!" he said as he nodded to Damon to the put the book away, and looked at Stefan with confusion.

"It is quite alright Master Salvatore, I am late coming down, I had quite a restless sleep." Elena blushed slightly, it wasn't a complete lie, her night was restless.

Damon smirked as he set his book down, "Come Miss Elena sit beside me, Father and I have been talking about the wedding plans." He said, his blue eyes glistened in the morning sun that peer through the tall windows.

Stefan looked up rather abruptly, "Wedding plans?" he asked confused.

"Oh, sorry Stef, we had not told you yet, Elena and I are getting married," Damon smiled, he was still getting his head around the concept himself.

"Married? You and Miss Elena?" Stefan was in shock.

"Yes, next Friday to be precise." Damon nodded.

Stefan nearly choked on his coffee, "Next Friday! Is that not rather soon?" he was shocked that his father had agreed to this.

"Oh Stefan, please do not bombard your brother with questions, it is alright Miss Elena is a very wonderful young lady, as well she comes from a founding family Stefan, we found out yesterday that she has suffered a tragic loss, she was involved in that carriage crash." Giuseppe alluded as Marie served Sunday breakfast.

Stefan's eyes went wide, "Oh my goodness you are Miranda and Grayson Gilberts daughter? I am so sorry for your loss!" Stefan exclaimed.

"Thank you, Master Stefan, I am slowly getting my memories back, it has been quite the ordeal." Elena replied her eyes misting slightly, if people were to believe it she had to cry.

"Now, can we please stop harassing my fiancé, as you see she is upset as it is." Damon gritted his teeth.

"Yes, we apologize Damon, we did not mean to hurt Miss Gilberts feelings. Now let's eat shall we." Giuseppe commanded.