Chapter 12

The room was quiet, Stefan sat with his eyes wide and his mouth unmoving. Elena's lip twitched, she did not know what was going to happen, was it a calm before the storm.

"We, we court?" Stefan finally stammered. His mind was racing with thoughts.

"Um, yes..." Elena responded.

"Okay... um but now, here, you wish to be with Damon?" Stefan asked his voice was thick with emotion. Elena could see the visible hurt expression on his face.

"A lot of things happened before I came here, that made me realize who I wanted to be with, I am sorry..." Elena did not know how to explain it, talking with Stefan about this all felt weird. Stefan just sat there with a blank look on his face, an uncaring look.

"There is no need to apologize Miss Elena, you and I here we do not have a relationship like my brother and you do. I have never seen Damon so happy before, I must say I am envious of him." Stefan said his eyes glued to the floor.

"Stefan... there is someone out there for you I know there is. I am sorry about what Valarie did to you, it was not fair. I know things are very confusing right now." Elena sighed, even for herself things were confusing.

"Miss Elena, can you tell me what happened that made you realize you loved my brother?" Stefan asked.

"He died." Elena said her eyes misting.

"Damon died? How?" Stefan was shocked.

"He was bitten by a werewolf, you tried as hard as you could to find a cure to save him, but it was too late." Elena said, even though Damon was safe and fine, it was still so painful to talk about, she began to cry.

"Oh Miss Elena, I never meant to upset you." Stefan said coming over and sitting close to her.

"It is alright, it just feels like yesterday that it happened, your brother loves you so much Stefan, he would do anything for you. When he died he told me that he was so sorry for the things he did to you and wanted you to know that." Elena said between sobs. "I know that it wasn't this you that I was supposed to tell that to, but I feel like I should tell you anyway. I know that Damon's not dead now, but it still is so painful to remember how he died." Elena said wiping her eyes. She felt as if a weight had been lifted from her, getting all these feelings out in the open felt almost like closure.

"I am sorry that you had to experience such a loss, but so what was being said about a carriage crash and your parents, that is not true?" Stefan asked finally realizing that Elena had not come on a carriage here.

"No that is not true, but nobody else must know that, everyone in town must think that I came here that way. My parents did however die in my time, in a car accident, cars are very much like carriages just without horses." Elena tried to explain without confusing Stefan.

"That is fascinating, does my brother know the truth? About you being from the future?" Stefan inquired.

"Yes, yes he does. Stefan, I want to tell you the whole truth, I think it is safer for you if you know. Damon is also from the future." Elena said, running her fingers through her hair.

"Excuse me?" Stefan asked taken back.

"The other night after dinner when he fainted, I had kissed him. In the future I kissed him goodbye when he died. His soul became trapped or combined with mine somehow and when I kissed him again, it reattached to his human body." Elena explained, Stefan's eyes were wide with wonder.

"Wow, I swear I am going to wake up tomorrow and this has all been a messed-up dream," Stefan said as he got up from the couch.

"Come Miss Elena I will escort you back to your room, we must get to sleep." Stefan said as he reached his hand out to Elena.