Chapter 2

It had been three days since they buried him. Elena sat in her room, alone. The only sound that could be heard was the humming of the lights.

Inside and out she was numb. No matter what he had done, she could never hate him. No matter how bad he had been, she would always forgive him. But now, its too late. He will never know that she loved him.

Stefan had tried to console her, but no matter what he said or did, nothing seemed to fill the void. The Damon sized void.

It was on this third day that Bonnie came, her usual bouncy positive, fun loving self; was masked with sadness and despair. Even when Elena's parents died Bonnie had never seen her friend look so lost.

"Elena?" Bonnie said poking her head into the room. The room smelled stale, like nobody had moved in days. Elena was lay still, she was wearing the same clothes she had the day of the memorial. She was clutching Damon's famous leather jacket in her arms. Bonnie could tell Elena hadn't been eating, she looked like a hollow shell.

"Oh, Elena." Bonnie said opening the dark blinds of the room and opening a much-needed window.

Elena's eyes were more bloodshot than Bonnie had ever seen before, "Elena, honey, you need to eat, and we need to get you out of these clothes." Bonnie said slowly trying to pry the jacket from Elena's hands.

"No, no please Bonnie its all I have of him, when I hold it, I feel safe." Elena whimpered.

"Shh, it will only be for a minute come on Elena, we need to get you cleaned up." The mocha girl softly said, as she lovingly helped Elena out of her clothes.

Bonnie gasped, even though it had only been three days since the memorial it had been almost a week since Damon died. Elena's body looked like a skeleton, slowly deteriorating.

"Elena when did you last eat?" Bonnie was terrified for her friend.

"I don't remember." Elena mumbled. The truth was she hadn't eaten since that day, the thought of food made her sick, the thought of doing anything that could keep her alive was pointless.

"Oh El, come on let's get you all cleaned up and then we will get you some food okay?" Bonnie smiled weakly, as she poured Elena a much-needed bath.

"What is the point Bonnie?" Elena sighed, as she slipped into the water.

"Elena, please think of Stefan, Jeremy, Caroline and me. Please we love you, we are here for you." Bonnie said, taking a pouf, and soaking it with soap, rubbing the abrasive material against Elena's skin.

"Bonnie, every time I let it sink in, for just a moment. I feel like I am going to die." Elena sobbed.

"Elena, I realize that you feel like you failed him. That because you didn't get to tell him the truth, but he died knowing you cared Elena." Bonnie sighed, rinsing the soap off of her friends back.

"What does that say about me? I am no better than Kathrine! Stefan won't even look at me anymore Bonnie." Elena's sobs became louder, as Bonnie washed her matted hair.

"You're nothing like Kathrine, Elena, and Stefan is grieving. He just lost his brother." Bonnie softly said, rinsing the shampoo out of Elena's hair, and lathering it with conditioner.

"I know... I know. I just wish I could understand why I feel this way. It feels like every molecule in my body is dying. Like somehow my soul was connected with Damon's and now that he is gone, I feel like I am dying Bonnie." Elena began to cry again, her tears washed away as Bonnie rinsed the conditioner from her hair.

Bonnie sat in wonder, it is possible for soul connections she had read about it in Emily's grimoire. But if this is the case, Elena did not have much time left.