a l o n e

"So what has daddy taught you?"
Mo wondered as she allowed her to get comfortable.
"My ABC'S numbers anddddddddd a song. You want to hear it?"
Joy wondered.
"Sure," Mona smiled.
"No" James interrupted.
Joy stared up at Mona and smiled as she began to sing.
"Put your hands together and pick up the water. Drink it for the father and drink it for the mother. God will help us one day and he will bring us peace. I love you daddy and you love me"
James screwed his face and pulled Joy's arm causing her to look up at him.
"I thought I said no Joy what apart of that don't you understand?"
he sternly spoke.
Joy looked down at her at the floor as her eyes watered. She didn't want to be in trouble.
"I'm sorry,"
"James," Mo spoke up.
James glared at her and shook his head.
"Don't even.....do what you agreed to do and being a mom wasn't it so watch it,"
he grew angry.
"But it was just a song James I don't understand where this angry person is coming from,"
Mona shook her head as sh chuckled slightly.
"I don't want those memories that song means something. We sang that they day we ever laid eyes on us in that bus station and I just don't want to hear it every again. You got that Joy?"
he demanded.
"Yes.." she spat.
Mo exhaled and then got out her materials she bought from the store to better assist her with teaching Joy. It was going on six ol'clock and she had just got off work with assisting at the school. She was going the extra mile for James and sometimes she wasn't even sure if he appreciated her.
James huffed as he thought for a second and ran his hand over his face.
"This is all new for me....so I'm sorry. I'll be outside to get some fresh air,"
he remarked.
Mona looked up and nodded her head. That's the only thing she could say because if she had words than it was no telling how sensitive or defensive he'd become. She didn't know if they friendship they were building would tear down or last. She just wished he could learn to open up more.

"Let's just go over what daddy taught so far,"
Mo coached Joy.
"My mommy taught me my name,"
Joy cheered up.
"She didddd? wow let's hear that first,"
Mona smiled.
While Joy began reciting her name, James stepped outside of Mona's house and sat on the porch.
He ran his hands over his face and started to begin to think if he was going crazy with each given day that passed by. He patted his pockets and took out his cigarette carton and lit one.
A sigh of relief escaped his lips while the smoke filled the air. He needed more than this to relieve his mind and reached for his phone for Cheyenne's number and decided to call her.

"Hello?"
she answered.
"Hey baby," cooed softly.
"What's wrong?"
she wondered noticing the hint of depression in his voice.
"I'm so ready for all of this shit to be over I'm just starting to lose it. I'm getting thoughts about dying back and everything. I'm more disappointed in myself if anything because I should of never gotten back into business with Ron. I keep getting a feeling that shit's not right...I can't call it right now, but I'm not doing this shit no more I'm seriously tired Chey,"
he vented.
"What? Why? I was just going to call you and tell you that I already talked to Rice and that we need to set up a meeting with Ron and Amino so that we can tell the rest of them what's up with the deposit box. You told me after that then you were done Jay. So you gonna quit? Quit on your fucking daughter? Because that's what you're doing if you don't go out here and get this money like the rest of us,"
Cheyenne spat.
"I'm not quitting on my daughter Cheyenne so you better leave her the fuck out of this,"
he roared.
"How can I leave her out of it when you brought her into this. You're doing this for her right? Then why stop now when you can have a bunch of money in your lap in the next two weeks? Get your shit together James...."
she remarked.
James listened to the line fall silent and sighed.
"I'm coming over there,"
he blurted and got up.
"For what?"
she rolled her eyes on her end.
"Bitch I'm coming for some pussy and I'm leaving,"
he retorted bluntly while putting his cigarette out.
"Whatever..."
she stated and hung up.

James looked at his phone and shook his head. He looked back at Mo's house and started heading to Cheyenne's house.