Better Together

After Eben saw Heather and Benny run into the building he ran towards the back where the other guard stood. He waited around the corner throwing a rock to catch his attention. The guard looked over and started walking toward the noise. When he got close enough Eben jumped out and put a flower under his nose. The guard inhaled in shock and while doing so he breathed in the poppy and started to fall asleep.
"Guys you're clear come on," he yelled toward Greta and Nick.
The two emerged from the bushes and ran toward the door.
"Remember be out 30 minutes," said Eben.
"Don't worry Eben we got this," Nick said.
Eben grabbed Nick's wrist as Greta walked in. "Protect her. Do not let anything happen to her. I swear if you let her get caught you will not like what I do to you," he threatened.
"I won't I promise," promised Nick. With that they entered the building and headed towards the crime scene.
The door they entered led them right into the room they wanted to be in.

The Scene of the Crime.

The room was a big open room. Santa's Sleigh sat right in the middle of the room. Usually there would be a big bag of toys in the sleigh but due to recent events that wasn't the case. In the middle of the wall to the right of them stood the door to Santa's office where luckily Santa was not at the moment. In the far left corner of the room on the opposite wall from where they were standing was the cabinets that were broken into.
Typically there would be elves in and out of the room doing various tasks but since the room is on lockdown until Nick looked for evidence no one was in there.
"Wow it's bigger then I thought it would be in here," said Greta as she looked around.
"Yeah it's pretty great," said Nick. "Come on we don't have much time."
They headed to the back towards the cabinets. Nick ran over to the other doors and locked them from the inside so no one could come in.
"You look around the sleigh and I'll check the cabinets. Here I brought plastic bags in case we found anything," Greta said pulling out some Ziploc bags from her backpack.
"Great minds think alike I guess," Nick said pulling out some bags from his coat pocket.
"Alright start looking Princy I don't feel like getting caught," she said.
Nick started looking around the sleigh and Greta looked at the cabinets.
"It looks like this was opened with a crowbar or something. The doors are all messed up."
"We keep a special lock on that thing. Only my dad, Bernard, and I know how to unlock it."
"Whoever was trying to get in knew what was in here they just didn't know how to get it. Have you found anything?" She asked.
"I don't think- Wait I did!" Nick said jumping into the back of the sleigh.
"What? What did you find?"
"A broken press on nail," Nick said holding up a plastic bag with the nail in it proudly.
"Ew those things are disgusting."
"Great now we just figure out who wears these nails and we got our person."
"As much as that helps Princy about half the people in the North Pole wear those things."
"Well at least now we've got a narrowed down list." He said trying to be optimistic. She rolled her eyes at him.
"Well have you found anything Ms. Grinch?"
"Yeah I found out that whoever broke into this thing knew what they were looking for. They wouldn't go through the trouble of breaking this old ratchet cabinet if they didn't know the value of the sacks. Also if they did want to break in they would have opened it to find some old gross sacks that probably smelt like dust and mothballs so they wouldn't have taken them. I think that's a little better then a press on nail," she finished.
"For your information that cabinet and those sacks have very high values and have been past down for generations-"
"Ok well I'm telling you that there is no way that a misfit could have done this. There's nothing of value to us here. Just some wood and an old sack that no one would know the value of. Whoever did this has to live in the main village."
The door started rattling. Their heads whipped over. Then whoever was on the other side started banging on the doors.
"Who's in there?!"
"Oh boy were screwed we gotta get out of here," Greta said.
"We can't go it will make us more suspicious. You hide behind the cabinets and I'll talk to whoever that is."
"You need to be quick the guard outside is gonna wake up any minute."
"I'll be quick just go hide."
Greta went and hid behind the cabinet while Nick went to the door and opened it. On the other side was an elf guard.
"Oh Mr. Claus my apologies I didn't know it was you in there," said the elf.
"It's quite alright Mark I was just about to leave anyway. I just wanted to get a quick first look around and see what I could find," Nick said.
"It sounded like someone else was in there. Who's with you?"
"No one," Nick said quickly. "I was just... talking to myself. You know gotta keep the thoughts moving,"
He answered.
"Alright well if you need anything I'll be out here."
"Yep thanks Mark," Nick said closing the door.
"I gotta keep the thoughts moving? That's the best you could come up with," Greta said coming out from behind the cabinet.
"I did the best I could alright? At least we didn't get caught," Nick said.
He felt his phone vibrate. He takes it out to find two texts from Benny.