A Week Later

When you posted a chapter not even half a day ago but it got spicy so you got inspired. You're spoiled.

Sophie's sobs echoed around her room. She felt that her gear had been ripped out of her chest and that her father enjoyed seeing her suffer.

It had been a week and she neither ate nor slept much. Every time she did sleep, she had nightmares.

That is, if nightmares could be of happy times. She felt worse pain knowing that her fiancé wasn't even her fiancé.

She didn't have the strength to even transmit to him. She was exhausted.

But just down, her parents were having a very heart racing and scary conversation.

"She needs to come out of her room," Grady said firmly. His crown rested on a messy pile of hair and he was still in his pajamas, blue silk ones that matched his eyes.

"What she needs," Edaline started carefully. "is an understanding father." Grady hid his face from her. "Grady, she didn't even talk to me. She's hurt. We need to find a way to help her."

"This is punishment. We aren't lenient with that!"

"She was kidnapped, Grady," Edaline's voice shook. "She was trying to help out her best out a kingdom in need. I see nothing short of noble,"

"It's not that, Edaline!" He shot to his feet, running his hand through his hair once he took off the crown. "She would normally tell us! And I understand if she wasn't able, but why wouldn't Everglen!? It just doesn't make sense,"

Edaline sighed and stood. "I'm off to my office. If you decide to be mature about this, I'll be there."

"I SAID GO AWAY, FATHER!" Sophie screamed at the door when she heard a knock.

The door opened just enough for her mother's head to pop in.

"So you think I'm starting to look like a man?" Edaline laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

Sophie didn't laugh.

"Listen, Sophie," Edaline brushed her hair behind her ear and approached Sophie. She sat down on the edge of her bed and drew circles on her back with her finger. "I agree that your father is acting rash. But we've gone through this before. And I think it was especially hard for him. 14 years of pent up sadness and anger never leads to anything good."

There was no response from Sophie. It pained her to talk about this.

Edaline sighed. "I am unhappy with him as well. But perhaps it is for the best. We love you, but we didn't seem to care when you came crying telling us how you were scared and angry because of the marriage. We figured you'd learn to love him, but we can see that isn't the case-."

"But it is!" Sophie cried, her voice horse from rarely speaking. She sat up to reveal bloodshot eyes and dark circles under her eyes. "Mother, I did love him! That's why this is so hard! He made me feel special, he made me laugh when I didn't want to. He made me feel like I...belonged in this world, with this tile, this life."

"Belong? Sophie you always belonged!"

"No, mother, I didn't. I may have acted like it, but I didn't, and I still don't. I need...to go back. I love you so much, but my duty is elsewhere."