Chapter 12

NOTORIOUS

CHAPTER 12

I saunter through the door into my house and throw my coat on the sofa. I don't know what to feel anymore. I feel disappointed in myself, in this world, in the law where money can make you get away with anything no matter how much of an awful crime you committed. You can just take someone's life and you can walk freely, no one can dare touch you because you have money. Why the world has to be like this? Why justice isn't strong enough to punish the cruel people?

I look at the picture frame placed on the table on the side. It's a picture of me, Laura and Julian. I remember the time when we took this picture. It was when I won my first case. Tears blur my vision as an old memory flashed before my eyes.

"Harry! Did you win the case?" Julian asked with a huge smile on her face as Laura and Harry entered the living room.

"Yes, I did." Harry grinned as he came forward and hugged her. They pulled away and Julian saw a frown on Laura's face.

"Laura, what's wrong?" Julian asked.

"Harry won the case but I'm upset," Laura said.

"Why? Julian chuckled.

"Because I feel sad for the one who lost. I know in divorce cases, the winner gets the custody of children but when I saw the kids crying for their parents to be together, I wished there wasn't a winning or losing side in this case." Laura explained as she hugged Julian.

"Harry, couldn't you lose the case so the children won't be hurt?" Laura complained and Julian parted her mouth as a chuckle escaped her throat. Harry walked to her as he smiled at her words.

"Laura, the law has never hurt anyone. Only our actions hurt others. As in this case, if the husband hadn't cheated on his wife, she wouldn't have asked for a divorce, right?" Harry elaborated and Laura nodded in agreement. "I know you love children and you feel bad for them and so do I but I've taken an oath to uphold the sanctity of law. If I break it then who will ever respect the law?"

"That's right." Julian agreed while holding Laura's hand.

"You're right. Your job is to make sure people get justice and as a girlfriend, I should support you." Laura gives a smile to Harry, which warmed his heart.

"You never have to worry when I'm with you. Because if someone hurts you, I will not let them go." Harry assured her, taking her both hands in his own. Laura grins wide and squeezes his hands in appreciation.

I look at my hand which used to hold her small hands in hers. The hands that squeezed hers and promised that they won't let anyone harm her. The hands that have failed in protecting her. The hands that are too weak to hold the weight of the law. I hold that picture tight till my knuckles turn white and bring it close to my face. I lean my forehead on it as I cry silent tears.

"I'm sorry Laura. I couldn't keep my promise." I whispered to myself. I hold onto the cushion by my side and hug it with all my might. I'm exhausted and frustrated at this whole situation, I despise myself. I couldn't do anything for Laura. I let her down. My eyes shift to the picture once again and I begin to sob into the cushion as an attempt to muffle the sound of my cries.