Chapter 6: 6891

Saturday, June 28th: 2 Churchill PI

"Just so we're clear," Clyde explained to the others as they walked down the street, "Bon and I will go in and get the file, Tricky and Baby are on the lookout. This shouldn't take more than two minutes tops."

After parting ways with Mr. William the next morning, the gang arrived at Barclays Bank where they went over their strategy one final time, ensuring everyone knew their roles, and everything went smoothly. As they entered the bank, Bonnie approached the counter, her confidence unwavering.

"Hi, I'd like to access a safety deposit box, please," she said to the bank clerk.

"Of course, ma'am, sir," the clerk replied. "What is the number of the box you are after?"

"6891," Clyde answered. "We're here on behalf of a Mr. Henry William. If you need proof, he provided us with the key and his authorisation."

"And what are the names?"

"Clyde Barrow and—"

"Mary Sharon," Bonnie lied.

The clerk nodded, verifying the information before leading the couple towards the safety deposit box area. Meanwhile, outside the bank, Baby and Tricky kept a vigilant eye on the surroundings. They were prepared for any unexpected visitors or troublemakers. As they observed the bustling city streets, Baby turned to Tricky with a question on his mind.

"Is it just me, or do I have a feeling those two are getting pretty close?" Baby asked, his curiosity piqued.

Tricky raised an eyebrow, considering the question.

"Now that you mention it, yeah," he agreed, his gaze shifting back to the bank entrance. "But you know how those two are—trouble just seems to find them, not that it stopped them before. I just hope and pray they don't do something stupid that blows this plan all over."

🍸

As they made their way toward the safety deposit box area, Bonnie found herself envisioning the headlines in the newspapers once they successfully retrieved the file and took it to the police. She imagined their names being heralded as heroes in big capital letters on every headline, dining at the Ritz, maybe bringing her mother along from Cambridge to try all the fancy clothes, but furthermore bringing justice for Danny.

"And once we get this file, how about we go live in Miami together like we planned?" Bonnie suggested to Clyde. "We could use a fresh start."

"Miami sounds nice," he replied, offering a small smile at her enthusiasm.

"Sure does. Oh! We can get a cruise ship! Imagine us, sailing the world for the rest of our lives! I've always wanted to ride a cruise ship of my own when I was a gal. I can see it now: Britain's first gentlelady to ride an American cruise."

They approached the designated box and used the key from Mr. William to unlock it. As the door swung open, they found the file they had been searching for. The realisation of their success filled Bonnie with anticipation for what the future may hold. After securing the file, the couple signed the necessary papers to acknowledge that they had collected them. While waiting for the form to be processed, Bonnie noticed that Clyde seemed unusually quiet.

Concerned, she asked him, "What's up with you?"

Clyde hesitated for a moment before revealing, "I'm marrying Mary in two days as scheduled. You don't have to worry about me once the news gets out."