Chapter 26: The Hidden Forest Village

"So you are a smooth-skin?" I asked it, and it got a puzzled look on its viney face.

"Not the reaction I expected," it said in a voice that my ears were disgusted at.

"I hate your voice, and we care for life. That is why you are not dead."

"Well, that's not true for the other Dragons that have seen me," it said in a clear voice.

"The mortal wars were your kind drove mine to near extinction," I replied.

"Yeah, I see why those who lived through that time hate Humans, but I took no part in it," I went quiet for a few moments before asking.

"How by Ominomgon can you use elemental energy?" I closed my eyes and tried to sense its core. It had none. Though I did feel some energy coming off the smooth-skin. "You have no core; this should not be possible," just like that Canibal, hopefully, I would get an explanation. The question troubled my core.

I heard a roar unlike any I had heard before; it sounded like half a Dragon's roar and half something lesser. I looked up and saw the one. It had a smooth-skin face partly coated in scales, long green fur between two long horns, it had smooth-skin arms covered in green growths, and its fingers were long vines.

Its immense wings were spread out, there was a tail, and instead of legs, a mass of vines curled around the tree branch. The Dragon-smooth-skin threw itself at me with the vine legs providing momentum, and the wings let it glide towards me, vine claws and mouth at the ready. The thing roared again. I flapped back out of the first strike.

"Melclaw, stop, please," in front of me, I saw vines burst from the ground and form into the one that brought me here. The Dragon-thing sliced right through him, its vine fingers coated in acid, but it just put its hand upon the thing's face. It should be dead.

"You are not to kill this one, or should I remind you who's stronger," upon hearing this, Melclaw pulled back from the smooth-skin.

The Creature snarled and flew off but not before glaring at me. I looked at the one who saved me, the wounds sealed by vines. I looked around, not knowing what to think, a Dragonic no-claw and one that could use elemental energy with a body of plant matter.

"What by Ominomgon just happened?" I asked, surprised.

"That was Melclaw. She must have thought you were someone to fight," the way this smooth-skin spoke was like nothing I ever heard before.

"What is she?"

"She is a Human with magic and Dragon features."

"Smooth-skin," I corrected it.

"Human," it said again, "that's just what we call ourselves.

"Well, at least she is still. Human." I said.

"But yeah, she dispises Humans and most over things, of course, there are people and Dragons and other things that come for us. I let her and the other scouts kill them, but when there's none, she gets agitated."

"Why did you stop her? If she is half Dragon, then you need to give her what she wants, or she is only going to get worse," in the distance, I felt an eruption of energy.

"There, I've given here a non-sentient Sentinel to fight, and you two could have, but she is far older than you and can very likely kill you."

"An impure, able to kill me..." I was stopped when a taller one with leaves around their belly and chest approached us. Its skin was the same colour as the Core-torn and Cannibals. It must be the same, I thought, but I stopped.