𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟐

..••°°°°••..
.·:*¨༺ 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 2 ༻¨*:·.
°°••....••°°

THE WHITE CITY

Gandalf, Pippin and Iladya gallop across plains and through forest. During their journey, Iladya had done some thinking. She had realised her dream was a glimpse of the future. A future that has changed in a horrifying truth. They splash through a river. "We have just passed into the realm of Gondor," Gandalf announces. They gallop up a hill and look down at a great white city. "Minas Tirith," Iladya breathes. "The City of Kings," Gandalf finishes her sentence. They gallop through the city until they reach the topmost level. They stop in front of a huge white hall. As they walk towards the door they pass a dead white tree. Pippin spots it.
     "It's the tree! Gandalf, Gandalf," Pippin repeats. "Yes, the white tree of Gondor. The tree of the King. Lord Denethor however, is not the King. He is a steward only, a caretaker of the throne." He stops and turns to Pippin at the door. "Now listen carefully. Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And do not mention Frodo or the Ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, its better if you don't speak at all Peregrin Took." Gandalf glances at Iladya, who nods. The wizard trusts the Elf and enters the Hall.
     They walk through the massive hall approaching the throne where a man sits in a seat at the base of the steps to the throne. "Hail Denethor son of Ecthelion, Lord and Steward of Gondor. I come with tidings in this dark hour and with counsel," he speaks. "Perhaps you come to explain this," Denethor grunts, showing them the broken horn. "Perhaps you have come to tell me why my son is dead." "Boromir died to save us my kinsman and me. He fell defending us from many foes," Pippin rushes forward and kneels down. "Pippin!" Iladya hisses. "I offer you my service, such as it is in payment of this debt," "This is my first command to you. How did you escape and my son did not? So mighty as man as he was," Denethor demands. "The mightiest man may be slain by one arrow and Boromir was pierced by many."
     "And her?" Denethor spits and motions in the direction of Iladya. Iladya steps forward, holding her chin high. "I am from the Woodland realm and I too am a member of the Fellowship and I fought alongside Boromir but the Uruk-Hai were too strong." Denethor watches with disgust and frustration. "So, why didn't you do anything to save my son?" he urges. "We did all we could," she says, in a sharper tone, "Boromir was alone whilst we were ambushed by the Uruk-Hai. He had blown the Horn of Gondor and we went to support him. By the time we were there, three arrows already struck in his chest. Lord Aragorn intended to save him but Boromir chose to die with honour. We respected his choice and we respect him every day." "Why weren't you there in time?" Denethor asks with pressure. "We were ambushed!" she explains, "as I said before." "As skilled Elven woman you could have saved him from being attacked at all. Since the elves are so good," Denethor exaggerates. Pippin glances over his shoulder to see the tense jaw of Iladya, he has never seen her this angry. "Us people are skilled, yes indeed," she continues, ''yet, we are not capable of being in two places. That is the end of discussion." Denethor grunts as he opens his mouth to throw another insult.
     Yet, Gandalf steps forward, hitting Pippin with his staff. "Get up!" he grunts, causing Pippin to stumble upon his feet. "My lord, there will be a time to grieve for Boromir but it is not now. War is coming. The enemy is on your doorstep. As steward, you are charged with the defence of this city. Where are Gondor's armies? You still have friends. You are not alone in this fight. Send word to Theoden of Rohan. Light the beacons," Gandalf says. "You think you are wise Mithrandir. Yet for all your subtleties you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand you would use me as a shield against Mordor and with your right you would seek to supplant me. I know who rides with Theoden of Rohan. Oh yes, word has reached my ears of this Aragorn, son of Arathorn. And I tell you now. I will not bow to this Ranger from the North. Last of a ragged house long bereft of Lordship," Denethor grunts. "Authority is not given to you to deny the return of the King, steward."
     Denethor jumps up angry. "The rule of Gondor is mine and no others!" Iladya had her hand to her back, ready for a sword. However, Gandalf turns and motions them to walk along. "Come!" They walk rapidly from the hall. "All had turned to vain ambition. He would use even his grief as a cloak! A thousand years this city has stood and now at the whim of a madman it will fall! And the white tree, the tree of the King will never bloom again," Gandalf grunts.