Chapter 4

"Alright, it seems like everyone knows about the idiom of the river.  Now let's get the start for the poem about love." the eunuch said.  But Jin Chuang doesn't play, he just comes here to watch.

"I live upstream and you downstream,/ From night to night of you I dream./ Unlike the stream, you are not in view,/ Though both we drink from River Blue./ When will the river no more flow?/ When will my grief no more grow?/ I wish your heart will be like mine,/ Then not in vain for you I pine." Nan Jun said as everyone looked at him.  "Perfect, now princess Miao Xin." the eunuch said as he came to me.     

"Ten years, dead and living dim and draw apart./ I don't try to remember,/ But forgetting is hard./ Lonely grave a thousand miles off,/ Cold thoughts, where can I talk them out?/ Even if we met, you wouldn't know me,/ Dust on my face,/ Hair like frost./ In a dream last night suddenly I was home./ By the window of the little room,/ You were combing your hair and making up./ You turned and looked, not speaking,/ Only lines of tears coursing down/ Year after year will it break my heart?/ The moonlit grave,/ The stubby pines." I said.

"This route is equal, the next route will be about life." the eunuch said.

"Beside my bed, a pool of light—/ Is it hoarfrost on the ground?/ I lift my eyes and see the moon,/ I bend my head and think of home." Nan Jun said.
"Boundless grasses over the plain/ Come and go with every season;/ Wildfire never quite consumes them —/ They are tall once more in the spring wind./ Sweet they press on the old high- road/ And reach the crumbling city-gate .../ O Prince of Friends, you are gone again .../ I hear them sighing after you." I said and now I get better. 

"Again equal, the last route will be about your choice." the eunuch said.

"Princess Miao Xin, you are a talented person." he smiles but I cannot see clearly just what Ling said. 

"Thanks, Prince Nan Jun," I reply.

"Autumn wind clear/ Autumn moon bright/ Fall leaves gather and scatter/ Jackdaw perch again startle/ Each thinks each sees know what day/ This hour this night hard be feeling/ The autumn air is clear,/ The autumn moon is bright/ Fallen leaves gather and scatter,/ The jackdaw perches and   anew./ We think of each other- when will we meet?/ This hour, this night, my feelings are hard." he said.

"Chang'an one disc moon/ Ten thousand households pound clothes noise/ Autumn wind blows no end/ Always jade pass think/ What day pacify Hu prisoner/ Husband end long journey/ In Chang'an city is the disk of the moon,/ The sound of pounding clothes in ten thousand households./ The autumn wind is blowing without ceasing,/ All the time I think of Yuguan pass./ When will we pacify the pillaging Hu,/ So my husband can end his long journey?" I said and now everyone for me.

"Equal.  This is the most amazing poem contest ever." The eunuch said as the contest ended. 

    "Miao Xin, you were very good.  What do you expect to have? I give you." he said as I smiled. 

    "My king father, I have asked you before and you said one month I hope you still remember," I said as I reminded him about what he said before.

    "Alright, I accept it," he said and nodded his head.

    "Thanks, father king.  I'm feeling tired.  May I leave?" I ask him but I don't feel tired, I just want to get out of the party as soon as possible.

    "Ling takes care of the princess," he tells Ling.

    "Yes, my lord." short but strong on her voice.

We leave the party, I go back to my room and I talk to Ling "Ling, I'm hungry, I didn't eat anything at the party yet.".

"Princess you didn't eat.  Wait, I will tell the servant to go the chef cook for you." I nod.

    I go to the desk full of books, I take one book out and start reading it.  "Princess the food is on the way."

I said "Okay". 

She doesn't understand what I said causes that modern language of my lifetime,  "What did you say princess?".

    "Umm.  I will be there just to let me finish the reading." I said as I tried to ignore the question. 

"Yes, my princess," Ling said as the food came to the table.  I put the book down and go to the table to enjoy the food.

I told Ling "Ling go outside of the palace and buy more paper and ink for me.". 

"Yes, the princess I will go now," she said and about to leave. 

"Not now, tomorrow," I said.