✰17.2 The Alchemist's Return

Months had passed since that day. In the Kingdom's eyes, my sister had made the right decision. She saved the day, banished the snow and brought back the King and Queen. But nothing has been the same for me since then. My heart grew bitter towards Rapunzel. I drifted further away from her company and made myself busy with my studies and other tasks. As much as I wanted a voice, and to be heard; I couldn't build up the courage.

My mind always wanders to that evening, and flashes of Varian being dragged away helplessly cross my thoughts like a waking nightmare. I thought of visiting him, and trying to put things right - but would he want a princess showing up and bringing all those memories back? What could I even do to help him? I don't have magical hair, or any powers. I was just me.

Then yesterday I had heard news of Rapunzel travelling to Old Corona, to Varian's house. Apparently things were worse than we could've imagined. Quirin was captive in amber, and for some reason our father was keeping secrets. The more I knew, the more angered I was.

I walked down the hallway, holding a history book that my tutor had assigned me to read. Sighing, I closed my eyes. I approached Rapunzel's bedroom to get to my one a few feet further down the hall. The guards bickered about something - I didn't pay much attention since they did that often. A door clicked and my heart raced as I did not want to look up and see Rapunzel. Thankfully, it was Eugene who emerged. He started to talk to Stan and Pete, while I attempted to sneak by quietly. But I saw him notice me from the corner of my eye.

"Hey (Y/n)!" he called as I winced at his words, "Do you think you'd have a little time to talk to blondie? She's having done trouble with the King, and I know it'd mean a lot." Eugene came closer, so he didn't have to speak loudly. I blinked and tried to think of an excuse.

"I have to go to my tutor's house and collect a book from her. Maybe another time." I said as I turned to walk away. I didn't look back, and headed past my bedroom. I had to leave the castle for a few hours so I wasn't caught in a lie.

~~~

I sat silently on a wooden rowboat at the edge of Corona. The gentle breeze swayed me with ease. It was nice to just sit and be still, away from the confines of the palace. I lifted my knees to my chest and buried myself in my thick skirt. The sun was low and I had spend the whole day avoiding anyone and everyone. Just as I was about to dose off, I heard a rustling from behind me. My head shot up and I turned to see if someone was there. Then suddenly a lump of black and grey fur leaped onto me. I yelped in shock and held up the creature.

"Ruddiger?..." I tilted my head in confusion, before feeling the boat rock strongly. I lowered the animal, and the mysterious alchemist from Old Corona had appeared in front of me. I gasped slightly and moved back.

"Varian?" I asked, "Where- h-how have you been?" I stuttered in disbelief.

"I've been alright, but shush: I need to lay low. Funny thing, the people of Corona aren't too keen on guys who attack one of their princesses." he chuckled and I let out a small sigh of relief. But soon my face fell into a frown, remembering what had happened to his father.

"Varian, I heard what happened to Quirin, I'm sorry..." I looked at him with concern.

"It's okay, Rapunzel couldn't help. She couldn't do anything." he said. His words suggested he had let go of the issue, but I saw a hint of something in his eyes. I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew that he wasn't giving me the whole story. Still, I chalked it up to him being upset. "Did you all get the scroll?" Varian asked quietly.

"The scroll?" I shook my head in confusion, I didn't know about any scroll.

"The scroll at my house in Old Corona." he clarified, but I still knew nothing.