✰10. It's Now or Never

Key:

(H/c): Hair color

(Y/n): Your name

(E/c): Eye color

-------

"I can't do it." Varian sat at the edge of the lively ballroom, biting his nails nervously.

"Of course you can, Veritas. Just go and ask her!" Eugene stood beside him, trying to encourage his meek pal.

"What if I fall over? The odds of that happening is..." The freckled alchemist started calculating the likelihood of him embarrassing himself.

"C'mon, you know you won't if yo-"

"7.874%." Varian cut his charismatic friend off with the deduction. The ex-thief sighed and placed a finger on his temple in frustration.

"Listen, you have to make a move. It's now or never. Just ask her, the worst she could do is say no." Eugene spoke calmly, assuring Varian of his opinion.

"Her saying no is the worst case scenario..." He retorted under his breath. Eugene frowned at his anxious demeanor; and began to give up on his lovestruck friend. However, against all odds - Varian stood up and pressed down his waistcoat neatly, preparing for action. "How do I look?" He turned to Eugene with an over-emphasized grin.

"Almost as good as me." Fitzherbert lit up at Varian's boost of confidence, and gave him a friendly slap on the back, "Go get her!"

The royal engineer apprehensively made his way across the dancefloor and through the crowds of chatting royalty and high society, princesses eyeing him as he passed. He had his eyes set on someone a little more special, and he had finally reached his destination. In front of him stood a (h/c) girl, not wearing a puffy ballgown or a regal fan like the rest of the guests. But instead she wore a simple maid's dress and was carrying a tray of appetizers in her hands. They locked eyes and the whole room fell silent to them.

"Varian? Why are you here?" Her voice broke through his dazed expression.

"Oh well, I saw you standing there and I thought maybe you'd like to - I mean, if you're not busy; would you like to 𝒹ₐₙ𝒸ₑ?" His voice trailed off into a mumble and (Y/n)'s face grew confused.

"To what?" She stepped closer so she could understand the nervous boy's words.

"To dance?" He cleared his throat and annunciated clearer so she knew what he was saying. (Y/n) blinked a few times before she could process what he said.

"D-dance? You want to dance, with me?" She said in shock, looking around at the flamboyant and beautiful ladies that surrounded her; and she wondered whether he meant to ask one of them.

"It's okay, you can't... I'll just go no-"

"Wait!" She grabbed his arm with her free hand. Varian looked into her (e/c) eyes, waiting for what she had to say.

"I'd love to dance."

------------

This one is the shortest I've written, but I just wanted to post something today. I've been writing a super fun song-fic, and it's still not finished so here's something for the meantime! Let me know if you have any requests, I'm still open :) Have a spooky Sunday people