chapter 11

The Spanish festival. Though she didn't have an ounce of Latin blood in her veins, Nickola always felt at home at the Spanish festival. She loved everything about the Hispanic culture and made it a point to come to the festival every year during Hispanic month. Her passion developed when she was a small child. There was something about the hospitality they offered and she always had the most welcoming encounters. She often felt included as if she were part of the family. She and Zara meet Miles at the front entrance.

"No Devaun today?" Nickola asks.

"I was supposed to have him but his uncle's visiting from out of town. I'll see him on Tuesday."

"Oh. Zara you remember my friend? We saw him at the grocery store," she says looking at Zara.

"Mm...not really," Zara says with her eyebrows pulled together.

"This is Miles."

"Hi," Zara says shyly.

"Hi," he smiles.

"Let's go find Ros. I think she said she'll be at the stage," Nickola leads the way in.

Past the entrance are vendors on each side selling clothes, jewelry, toys, and other handmade items. At the end of the vendors are ATM kiosks. There is a large open area with chairs and a stage. Next to the stage is a large rubber like wood dance floor. It's a cool morning and partly cloudy. Nickola scans the crowd and doesn't find Ros. She pulls out her phone and calls, "Hey we're here by the stage area. What side are you sitting on?" Nickola sees a woman flailing her arms in the air and realizes it's Ros. They walk over to join them. She is with Juan and their two daughters. Nickola introduces Ros and Juan to Miles. Ros hugs Zara and greets Nickola by touching her cheeks to Nickolas and making a kissing sound. She is wearing a black v-line dress shirt with ruffles at the collar and sleeves. Blue jeans show off her full figure finished with a pair of black heels. The band announces the next song.

"Miles do you salsa?" Ros ask grabbing Juan by the hand and pulling him out to the wood like rubber floor.

Miles shakes his head no.

"Just give it a try," Nickola says.

"You go," he says smiling.

"Okay," Nickola takes Zara's hand and they dance alongside Ros and Juan.

Mid song Nickola waves for Miles to come and join them but he shyly declines. Ros's daughters cut in with her and Juan dancing. Ros then turns to dance with Nickola, spinning Zara as a third person to dance with Juan and their daughters. He watches as Ros spins Nickola. Her hips swing from side to side.

The song ends and they return to join Miles. "If that were me I would have stepped all over your feet," he chuckles. "You've been taking classes? You look like a natural out there."

"A natural? I don't know about that. I took a few classes in the past," she says proudly.

"Mom can we get our faces painted and then go play in the bouncy houses?" Zara ask looking at the girls.

Nickola takes the children while Ros and Juan stay for more music and dancing. The girls wait patiently, watching as the children seated get their faces painted.

"Would you ever go to a salsa class?" she ask Miles.

"You mean with you or sign up for lessons?"

"With me. Just one time," she holds up one finger.

"I'd rather watch. Dancing is not really my thing," he says not wanting to let her down. "Tell you what. Come to my place. We'll have dinner and then you can put on your favorite salsa song on and you can teach me."