chapter 17

*Queue Brittany Spears 'Swimming in the stars' and play when you read the song title*

Nickola's phone rings. "Hello?" her voice groggy.

"Are you not awake? Have you got work today?" the voice on the other end ask.

"Herring? What time is it?" Nickola pulls the covers off and sits up wiping her eyes.

"Ten past seven," he answers.

"Oh no! My alarm," she turns on the light and scurries to Zara's room.  "Are you okay? You usually leave a voicemail."

"I'm going to Dunkin Donuts. I thought you might like something?'

She lightly shakes Zara by the shoulder, "Zara time to get up. Um, sure," she taken aback. "I'll take a strawberry frosted or Boston cream."

Zara moans and gets out of bed.

"Anything to drink?"

"Uh. Orange juice is fine," reaching into Zara's closet grabbing blue jeggings and a blue t-shirt. Nickola then returns to her room.

"I'll meet you at your job."

"O...kay," she says confused.  "I'll see you then." She quickly gets dressed and packs Zara's lunch.

When she pulls into the parking lot of Met Transit Herring is already there waiting inside his car. Nickola checks her watch. "Ten minutes," she says to herself before getting in on the passenger side. He bags her the Dunkin Donuts bag.

"Thank you. Your so thoughtful," looking inside the bag. " Do you usually get up this early?"

"We'll I'm going into the office. I want to finish up a few things before this weekend."

"This weekend. Right," she says remembering. She puts her head against the headrest.

"Having a change of mind?" he says anxiously.

"No. I haven't been to New York in a while. And I'm looking forward to being on the set of this commercial of yours."

"Me surrounded by lots of women. It will be loads of fun," sarcasm in his tone.

Nickola's mouth opens in shock.

'I'm joking. It's not going to be like that," he laughs.

She gives him a smug look.

"Can you get away tonight? I want to go here," he shows her a place on his phone.

"Paint and sip," she reads aloud.

"Have you ever been there?"

"No.  And the last time I painted anything I was probably Zara's age."

She thinks for a moment. "I'll meet you there," she looks at her watch. "Thanks again for the donuts and juice." She gets out of the car and heads into work.

After clocking in and putting her lunch away she sits in the bus wrestling with the idea of lying to her best friend. She has never lied to Vanessa before and there is no reason to start. The desire to spend time with Herring overrules the guilt of lying. She finds it hard to stay away from Herring. He's handsome, has an accent, and his aura is magnetizing. The desire he has for her fuels her desire for him and it overrules the guilt of lying. She knows she should end whatever thing she has going on with him. But not this week. She pulls out her phone and texts Vanessa.

Nickola: Miles wants to have dinner tonight can you drive Zara to dance?

Vanessa: Sure. Have fun!