Chapter 21 (edited)

After Zara's piano lesson Nickolas mom takes her for the weekend. She has come to the decision to end things with Miles. Her heart is not in it. She can't continue the charade of having feelings for him. The feelings he has for her are not even close to the lack of feelings she has for him. She flips the phone in her hands a few times before making the call. First an apology for wasting his time. Telling him there is no growing connection on her end. Assuring him she is the problem not him. Wishing him the best on his business endeavors. It feels like a weight off her shoulders.

Pulling a book off of the case she attempts to read. Rereading the same page twice, she returns the book to the shelf. Staring at the blank television she pulls up Herrings number on her phone. She sighs. Setting the phone on the couch she decides to make popcorn. Two spoonful's of oil into the pot. One heaping handful of kernels. Giving the pot a shake to coat the kernels. She turns the heat on medium high. With crossed arms she looks at the phone lying on the couch. The sound of popping fills the kitchen as the kernels change texture. Once done a dash of salt on top before she throws a few pieces into her mouth.

Failing to restrain herself any longer she takes the phone and pulls up his number again.

Nickola: Can we talk?

Nickola: In person.

Nickola: Tonight?

Patiently hoping for a rapid response she scoops out a handful of popcorn from the pot. Moments later a ding from the phone.

Herring: Your place or mine?

Her face lights up.

Nickola: Yours. 7:00

Herring: See you then.

She smiles holding the phone under her chin.

******

Herring opens the door wearing a white robe. His hair is dripping wet. Nickola has a curious look on her face.

"I was having a shower," he dries his hair with the towel. Water beads show on his exposed chest.

Nickola enters and closes the door behind her. The sound of music coming from the back of the apartment. He walks to his room.

"I want to apologize for yesterday," hanging her jacket on the dining room chair.

"What?" he questions from his room. The music lowers.

"I said. I want to apologize for my attitude last night," a little louder. She slowly walks to his room.

"No worries." He pulls on a pair of grey sweatpants. "The night ended a bit unpleasant for all of us," drying his hair again.

Nickola stands in the doorway. It's the first time she's sees him shirtless. He's perfectly toned.

"I've been thinking about the age gap between us and," she moves into the room.

"And," he hangs the towel on the doorknob and sits at the foot of the bed.

"I'm over it."

"When did you arrive to this conclusion?"

"I've been thinking about it for a few weeks." She takes a deep breath. "I never stopped having feelings for you." She sits next to him and turns her body toward his.

"What about that guy from last night?" His damp hair adding to his attractiveness.

"We broke up."

Herring's eyes are on the floor.

"I know my feelings are- were all over the place. If you don't want to be with me I get it. I just wanted to get this off my chest."

She attempts to leave. He grabs her by the hand and stands up.

Taking her face in his hands, "Nickola. I am absolutely mad for you."

Her hands holding his wrists. His lips slowly make their way to hers. They kiss passionately.

"I've missed you," she says.  "

"I've missed you too," he says. They sit silently for a while listening to the music. 

"Stay," he demands softly. "Please," pleading with his eyes.

"I don't have anything to sleep in."

"You can sleep in one of my shirts," he offers.

"Okay," she smiles.

He grabs a  grey Superdry t-shirt from the closet for her to wear. "Alexa stop the music," he says. The music stops. "Are you hungry? I'm going to order take away," he turns on the television.

"No thanks," politely declining. She goes to the bathroom. After removing her clothes she pulls his t- shirt over her head.

He eats his burger and the two curl up in bed.  She rest her head on his chest. They watch 'How to get away with Murder' until she falls asleep.