chapter 19

The next week goes much better for Nickola. Things are going well with Miles. Her urges to contact Herring are almost nonexistent. The fact that this weekend is Ros' wedding is helping redirect her thoughts. She meets Vanessa at the mall.

"So tonight is the bachelorette party?" Vanessa ask.

"Yeah. We're going to the club first then to a hotel after. She's got some family coming from out of town."

"Been so long since we've been to the club." Vanessa says.

"Yeah it has," Nickola agrees.

"How are things with Miles?" Vanessa ask as they step onto the escalator.

"Good. We're taking things slow," Nickola says nodding.

"Oh. So you two haven't," Vanessa pries.

"No. I mean we've messed around."

"It's been what? Two months."

"That I've known him. We've only been together for two weeks," Nickola clarifies.

Vanessa stops in front of the entrance to Nordstrom. She crosses her arms over her chest. "You ain't feeling him."

"Why you say that?" Nickola's feels flush.

"I'm not saying you have to give it up. But it's been two months and you're not crazy about him yet," Vanessa is surprised. "I know you Nikki. When you like a guy the whole world knows."

"I like him," Nickola's smile is unconvincing. "He's just not who I would typically go for." She turns to walk into the store.

"No he is not," Vanessa says as she followers her in.

They find the section with dresses. "Here it is," Nickola removes the dress from the rack. An a-line knee length navy blue dress. It's a sleeveless vintage slim fit with a shirt collar.

"Oh. I like it!" Vanessa says excitedly.

Nickola tries on the dress. She comes out of the dressing room and models it for Vanessa. She stand in front of the mirror looking at herself.

"Nikki you look beautiful. But you can't be looking better than the bride. Girl they're gonna ask you to leave Nikki," Vanessa says.

Nickola smiles. "You're silly." She turns to view the back of the dress in the mirror. "Now I'm afraid of Miles reaction."

"You better get ready. Cause he won't be able to control himself."

Nickola returns to the dressing room. After paying for the dress the two go for frozen yogurt before parting ways.

                                   ****

Later in the evening. Nickola, Ros, and her other friends meet at the hotel. A limo takes them to Crown One. They enter through the VIP access line and head to the lounge Ros reserved. Her excitement along with her outfit draws some strange stares. She's rocking a white tube top covered with a black crop leather jean jacket. Written in black script on the front of her top are words Bride to be. Her black jeans have rhinestones that outline the front and back pockets. Attached to the tiara on top of her head is a sheer lace veil. A round of long island ice teas are brought to the lounge. The six ladies grab their drinks and head to the dance floor. Ros makes a request at the DJ booth. Nickola's eyes go wide and her mouth drops slightly.

"Que pasa?" Ros ask turning to see where Nickola's looking. "Is that Herring? Who's that girl he's with?"

"I don't know," Nickola still looking as if she sees a ghost.