Livana Didn't Know About Puppy Love

Livana felt nothing but shame- what was she thinking running to Leo like that? She knew he could use fire and be resistant to it, but it never crossed her mind that he'd be completely fireproof. The girl did her best to suppress the burning sensation that continued to spread across her face and hands, the light of the moon washing over her and healing the burnt skin. She could feel some extra power, though, like someone- some god or goddess- was helping her.

Livana grazed her skin with her finger tips, still looking down; she could feel her flamed skin growing tingly, then shrinking into scars- what usually was the last stage when she healed her wounds, yet it continued to heal past scarring and fade into her regular skin. Infront of her, Leo turned around after making sure Festus could fly on his own.

"Okay, let me see," he said. Livana shook her head. "Liv, I need to see how bad you're hurt so I can help you. I'm so sorry I hurt you..."

"It's my fault..." the girl whispered. "I knew you had that ability, but I never thought you might be resistant. I ran to you, I messed it up."

Leo grabbed her hands gently and sat a bit closer. "Please, just let me see how bad it is," the boy pleaded softly. Livana frowned and pulled her hands away slowly. The skin above her right eyebrow was still pretty burnt, but it didn't look so bad now. Other parts of her face we're slowly scarring up while the rest had returned back to skin. Her hands were their same soft selves again. Leo stared in awe. "You really did heal it....that's amazing."

"It's different then how it usually is..." Livana looked away, watching the clouds pass by them at high speeds. Leo brought his hands up higher, grazing his fingertips over her skin. He pulled them away when the girl flinched, guilt washing over him like a tidal wave.

"Sorry...is this okay?" Leo asked. Livana's lips trembled slightly, her eyes welling with tears that made them look like glass. She quickly leaned into him, covering her mouth with her sleeve as she silently wept. The boy wrapped his arms around her and looked down in shame. He moved his hand in circles across her lower back, careful not to scare her. "I didn't mean to hurt you," he whispered.

"It's not your fault," Livana whimpered. Leo shook his head.

"It was my power."

"I'm the one who didn't think."

"Please don't argue," Leo sighed. "I caused it, okay?" He lowered his voice and continued to say, "I've done this before, too."

Silence passed between the teens.

"But-"

"Maybe just..." Leo faltered for a moment. "Maybe just don't stick too close to me, okay?" Livana sat still for a moment, her tears running dry now. "I care for you a lot, but I don't want you hurt again."

"Okay," the girl whispered. Leo pulled away from her and ruffled her hair, brushing his knuckles against her forehead after. Livana looked away rather than lean into the last bit of his touch.

"You look like you healed just fine," Leo smiled slightly at her. Livana nodded to him and scooted back. The boy turned around and gripped Festus' reins, the scarf Livana gave him flapping in the wind.

Livana stayed still, feeling the wind on her face. It's still cold, she thought, wrapping her arms around himself. Leo said not to get close, but he wouldn't... Livana slowly leaned forward into the boy. I can do this, right? She placed her front against him and rested her face on his back. "Is this okay?" She mumbled. Leo sighed and shifted his weight evenly so Livana could position more comfortably.

"Yeah," he smiled back at her- though his grin didn't reach his eyes.

Forgive me, Livana wanted to say; instead she closed her eyes and did her best to ignore the tears falling down her cheeks.