Romans Are Not 'Besties'

"Livana!"

Oxygen suddenly returned to the girl. Her eyes snapped open as she bolted upright. It felt like she had just been strangled.

Annabeth leaned over the side of Livana's bed, holding her hand. "You were distressed. I heard you making sounds from outside your door."

Livana closed her mouth, no longer needing to gasp for air. She knit her brows together.

"You know the sound... the whines that sound like angry crying, and the gargling like you're being choked." Annabeth pulled her blonde curls to the side. "Your nightmares seem to be getting out of hand. You know you don't have to meet the Romans with us, right? You need-"

"I don't need rest." Livana's voice was raspy and dark. "I'll be fine." As she tried to pull herself over to sit at the edge of her bed, she realized how sore her body was. Ever since Erica showed her the mirror, Livana trained relentlessly every day. It was harsh on her body. She became malnourished since she would skip meals to train. Bruises were quick to form, and soreness never went away. But a quick touch of moonstone could help Livana heal faster than the blink of an eye.

"Liv, I'm serious." Annabeth sat next to her. "I'm scared too, but not enough to cause me to hallucinate-"

"They aren't hallucinations!" Livana snapped. "They're real! I feel them all the time- stop treating me like I'm crazy!"

"I'm sorry, Livana. I believe you." Annabeth looked to her lap. "I care for you. I trust you enough to be my right-hand man. I just don't want you to be like...this."

Livana grabbed a water bottle off her bedside table and held it tight. "Just stop talking about this now."

Silence passed between the two girls.

Annabeth sighed and stood up. "Meeting in the Mess Hall in ten minutes. Then help me go over the check-list," she said. Then she walked out of Livana's room, closing the door behind her.

Livana rubbed her face. She opened the drawer of her bedside table and grabbed a large oval-shaped moonstone. She made sure all the lights in her room were off then activated her healing powers. They felt weak, but the moonstone helped her gain strength. She moved the crystal along her body, easing the soreness and clearing up bruises.

A faint whisper cooed in her ear.

In a split second, Livana had her sword ready and slashed the air behind her.

Nothing was there. But the sword strike was so powerful it split the wood on the wall across Livana. Thankfully it hadn't hit her picture frame, which now not only held the picture of little Liv and her dad, but two other photos she'd taken during spring. One was her and Leo clinking soda bottles together, and the other was all three of her siblings throwing up peace signs.

The girl exhaled shakily and returned her sword to the darkness. She leaned over and picked up the moonstone she had dropped, returning it to the drawer beside her bed. She fixed her sheets and walked over to her wardrobe.

Nothing was in there. Well, nothing bad that could kill her; that was her top priority. Livana looked through her clothes and picked out her daily outfit- her new daily outfit, she'd ditched the sweater and skirt combo.

Her go-to now was a pink crop top and high waisted blue jean shorts. Her socks were tall and black, and for shoes she wore black boots that went to her mid-shins. Sometimes she liked having her hair down and flowing around her, but often she'd tie it back in a low ponytail. Today she went with the second option.

Livana left her room and closed her door after her. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she walked down the hallway toward the mess hall.

A strange shadowy figure skipped alongside her for a second, but when Livana blinked and stepped back in shock, it was already gone.