Chilly Flights on Happy the Dragon

Livana clung to Leo as they flew over the camp, riding on Festus' back. She was okay with flying- she knew she'd be fine as a bird, but on a dragon is a different story. Campers ran out in pajamas and battle armor, ready to take down the bronze machine. The archers from the Apollo Cabin readied themselves, causing Leo to panic slightly. "Don't shoot!" He yelled down to them as he landed Festus. The campers made a loose ring around the dragon and demigod pair, still ready for any necessary combat. Nobody wanted to get close, though they couldn't be blamed; the dragon was huge- at least sixty feet of pure celestial bronze with steel teeth and talons. It's eyes were like glowing rubies.

"It's beautiful," Piper spoke breathlessly, the other campers stared at her strangely. Festus arched back and shot a column of fire into the sky; the campers backed up further. Leo slid down the dragon's back with a crazy grin on his face, holding his hands up like he was surrendering.

"People of Earth! We come in pies- we come in peace!" Livana laughed quietly into her hand, thinking about how goofy he was. What was the word for it again? Dunce? No, that meant stupid- she'd heard Annabeth call someone from the Ares cabin that. Stork? No, dork! Leo is a dork, Livana thought to herself. A small, fluttery sensation filled her chest and stomach. It was unfamiliar to her, so she quickly shook it off.

The girl looked back to the goofball boy and watched him; he was covered in soot from head to toe. His cargo boots were nearly as dirty as his greasy, curly brown hair. His hands were black with grease, and through the night he wiped them on his new leather toolbelt- the one he found in the bunker. His eyes were bloodshot and he smelled strongly of Tabasco sauce. But he was happy, and his smile never left his face once. Livana struggled to suppress the flutters in her stomach. She felt warm, like seriously warm- fever levels of heat. Anxious to get away from this strange feeling, Livana ruled it off as her coming down with a sickness.

"Leo, what have you done?" Jason asked in amazement.

"We found a ride!" Leo beamed, glancing back to Livana then Jason again. "You said I could go on the quest if I found you a ride. Well, I got you a class-A metallic flying bad boy! Festus can take us anywhere!"

"It- It has wings," Nyssa stammered, her jaw nearly at the floor.

"Yup! We found them and put them back on!" Leo said, talking as if Livana helped with his work. She felt like correcting him, but her throat was dry and had a lump in it- like she choked on her words before they came out.

"But it never had wings...where did you find them?" Nyssa asked. Leo paused and glanced back at a sickly looking Livana.

"The woods," she answered for him, finally able to get a few words out. Leo hid his worry for her and looked back to his sister.

"Right! What she said. Repaired some circuits too, mostly, so no more problems with him going haywire."

"Mostly?" Nyssa stared at the dragon, who twitched and turned its head to the side; black liquid- hopefully oil- poured out of its ear and all over Leo. Livana covered her mouth and snorted.

"Just some extra things that need to be worked on," she smiled at the campers, handing Leo a towel she created from shadows. "And with Festus' fire, we were quick!"

"And lucky," Leo chimed in, tossing the (now) dirty towel aside. "So am I on this quest or what?"

"You named him Festus? Festus means 'happy' in Latin, do you really want to save the world on Happy the Dragon?" Jason asked, a smile playing on to his face. Festus twitched uncomfortably and Livana pet his neck to soothe him.

"Yup! And we should get going. I already picked up some supplies in the-"

"Woods!" Livana finished for him.